Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 56

post #826 of 1140

Which is the better DAC the Wolfson or the ESS9018 for the LCDs?

post #827 of 1140

IMO ESS9018, more incisive, detailed and better hf extension. All else being equal of course.

post #828 of 1140

So its a good match with the LCD-3's?

post #829 of 1140
I picked the nfb28 which is a nfb-10es2 with analog inputs and a new casing with volume knob. It sports a 9018 and perform well for the price with lcd3.

Of course this is just an entry level choice as I want to get more experience and baseline the performance when I demo or trial more expensive combos. But it is a good stepping stone for those who are wary of overspending in this hobby for diminishing returns.
post #830 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
 

So its a good match with the LCD-3's?

 

Works great with my LCD2.2's. Have not heard the LCD3's.

post #831 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
 

Which is the better DAC the Wolfson or the ESS9018 for the LCDs?

 

I prefer the Wolfson.  Find the ESS to be little shouty through the mid range.

post #832 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

I prefer the Wolfson.  Find the ESS to be little shouty through the mid range.

 

Assertive & forceful maybe but I have never heard a shouty ESS dac.

But then I havent heard any really cheap ones.

post #833 of 1140
W4S DAC-2 is the one I had. Especially shouty when fed with the AP2 which was harmless on the PWD2.
post #834 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

Vampire, check out the audio-gd products.  Probably an NFB-10.33 or NFB-10ES2 can do wonders and help you decide to REALLY spend on quality dac/amp.  For less than USD600 you get a decent fully balanced DAC (dual wolfson 8741, or ESS9018), with fully balanced amp that output 6W for the LCD3.  Should do well for the HD700 too. 

 

A recent review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-gd-nfb-10es2-balanced-desktop-amp-dac/reviews/9481

 

Hey man, I'm looking at this NFB-10ES2 this looks wonderful, though it's more expensive than whatever you said, the 600 USD... we're talking about 680 USD + shipping (about 90 USD)

 

What chance is there that this plays also DSD? It seems to support up to 32/384khz.... which is DXD!

 

Help me out, if it's that good I'm _ALL_ for it, and it might even get my money before the Audeze!

post #835 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

I prefer the Wolfson.  Find the ESS to be little shouty through the mid range.

 

Not sure if I prefer the Wolfson, but I do agree with the shouty part on the DACs I've heard with the ESS (W4S DAC-2, Peachtree DACs Benchmark DAC-2).

post #836 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post

Hey man, I'm looking at this NFB-10ES2 this looks wonderful, though it's more expensive than whatever you said, the 600 USD... we're talking about 680 USD + shipping (about 90 USD)

What chance is there that this plays also DSD? It seems to support up to 32/384khz.... which is DXD!

Help me out, if it's that good I'm _ALL_ for it, and it might even get my money before the Audeze!

No DSD support. I use the free korg audiogate to convert to pcm usually.

And they have been running a 100 off special price for the 10es2. Just checked and it is still up! smily_headphones1.gif

post #837 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Not sure if I prefer the Wolfson, but I do agree with the shouty part on the DACs I've heard with the ESS (W4S DAC-2, Peachtree DACs Benchmark DAC-2).

 

 

What's a shouty DAC? uhm, does it also bite? ;)

 

Uhm, will I be ok with that NFB-10ES2 or will something at this price range (Say 1000 USD) be giving me more and better for my needs? I'm looking to get something for quite a while now I'm not going to be spending huge fortune, maybe I'll then also get the next flagship of stax if it turns out revolutionary, but that's about it...

I don't want to spend 1000 USD for DAC and then another 1000 for an amp, and then another for CD I don't believe in ridiculous spending, yet everyone around me, they don't understand what I'm on about when I'm telling them I'll be getting headphones that cost 8500 ILS XD


Edited by XVampireX - 9/10/13 at 1:10pm
post #838 of 1140
Shouty as in ESS - The Wife DAC smily_headphones1.gif)
post #839 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

Shouty as in ESS - The Wife DAC smily_headphones1.gif)

 

Like it brings the vocals forward + amplifies them?

post #840 of 1140

It's not some complicated word.  Shout, like shout.  Like you do something stupid and someone shouts at you.  Short version, not good.  Nothing to do with tonal balance, more about excessively sharp transients, overshoots.


Edited by Solude - 9/10/13 at 3:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3