Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 5

post #61 of 6599

I'm going to have to think about this for a while before I decide if I should be upset about it. Number one is I flat refuse to pay that much for a set of headphones. Number 2, I'm extremely happy with the r2's and really feel I have found the one headphone for me so even if I had the money I probably wouldn't buy them

 

However, It kind of rubs me the wrong way when a company releases a revision then 4 months later releases a new model.

 

Next question, how much better could they be?

post #62 of 6599

It would have irked me if a new ergonomic design was presented in a better model priced in the same ballpark as the current version. I'm glad new rev.2 owners haven't been shafted, but I'm surprised at the price they've set for the LCD-3.

post #63 of 6599

Actually I am happy with the Rev.2.     I have tweaked my rig to the point where it has gotten better each time. The Q Cable, Shunyata Venom 3, Amarra,  still looking for a nice balanced interconnect.  I'm at the point now where the R.2 is not healthy for me because I spend too much time listening to them.  I am far less productive now than I was before the R.2.   I am almost addicted to my rig.  

 

Having said that I would have been unhappy for sure if the LCD-3 was close to the price of the LCD-2, however at $2K I would have to go back into a high end mini monitor because no matter how you slice and dice the sonic logic headphones simply cannot compete with speakers.  In fact happiness for me includes not listening to speakers at all or very little otherwise the allure of sound traveling thru the air is too strong a force and I cannot assimilate to headphone sound. 

 

I have to admit even at $1K it took me a while before I could look at the LCD-2's and not get a sinking feeling in my stomach about the money I spent on a pair of cans and the subsequent amplification needed to power them.   I kept thinking $1K, what have I done!  For a while I kept thinking I was insane and perhaps I am.  I mean $1K really for headphones?  


Edited by WarriorAnt - 10/13/11 at 4:57pm
post #64 of 6599

 

i_learned_it_by_watching_you_sticker-p217516837510397613qjcl_400.jpgoriginal.jpg


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultel 2009 View Post

This is the funniest post I've read in ages and ages. Cheers biggrin.gif



 

post #65 of 6599

its almost 2k.  $1945.00 and being released 11/11/11
 

LCD-3

 

Ohhhh... so prettyyyyy.....

I wonder what the specs are going to be... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I'll take the under, maybe 1300-1500 

 



 


Edited by Hawaiiancerveza - 10/13/11 at 5:00pm
post #66 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post

Asgard is definitely a warm-sounding amp but nevertheless, your EQ setting is intriguing. What DAC you're using BTW? 

 

I will see if I can replicate this for testing tonight. 



I'm using an M-Audio FireWire 410.  About 10 years old now.  Nothing special other than it works well as an "audio interface".

 

The EQ is fun to play with.  I'm finding that the amount of EQ that sounds right seems to vary with listening volume level.  With lower volume I want to boost the mids and treble more. At high volume I want to boost less.  So now I've got three shelf EQ presets.  One with a 1 dB boost, one with a 1.5 dB boost and one with a 2 dB boost.  Weird but not unexpected.

 

I need to investigate better amps (that I can afford) for the LCD2.  An amp that lets the treble come though and the headphones to open up better than what the Asgard does.  Then once the amp thing is figured out I can look at what a better source might do.  I'll be very happy if I find I don't need to EQ at all after getting the amp and source figured out.  For now I'm happy that the EQ is letting me be happy with the Asgard.

post #67 of 6599

Don't know about you guys, but my rev.2 is sounding really good today. biggrin.gif

post #68 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

A year ago I would have thought $100 was too much for headphones.  A year later I have a pair that costs exactly a $1000.  Let's hope the audiophile madness is only logarithmic in the first year.  Even if it's linear that means by Fall 2012 I will be able to justify the price of the LCD-3 tongue.gif

 

 

If the madness is logarithmic than I'm in trouble for sure because I started out with headphones that cost $1000.
 

 

post #69 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza View Post

its almost 2k.  $1945.00 and being released 11/11/11
 

LCD-3

 

Ohhhh... so prettyyyyy.....

I wonder what the specs are going to be...


Are we joking? That's the exact LCD-2 cups and  headbands with a different wood. Unless the workmanship is 10 times better (which I highly doubt), it's downright shoddy looking $2000 for this look frown.gif?

And before anyone asks, I already found the workmanship of the LCD-2 dubious for its price level, they would look at best like a $400 headphones, the Denon D7000 looks much more luxuriant.

 

For this price I would have expected a completely different housing, full aluminum cast maybe? Magnesium? The assembly care and the tolerances better be 10 times improved.

post #70 of 6599

I'm not saying anything towards the entire build.  I wasn't specific enough.  I like the way the wood looks.  Thats all =)  It reminds me of a guitar or something like that.  

Apparently the specs are similar to the LCD-2.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post

Are we joking? That's the exact LCD-2 cups and  headbands with a different wood. Unless the workmanship is 10 times better (which I highly doubt), it's downright shoddy looking $2000 for this look frown.gif?

And before anyone asks, I already found the workmanship of the LCD-2 dubious for its price level, they would look at best like a $400 headphones, the Denon D7000 looks much more luxuriant.

 

For this price I would have expected a completely different housing, full aluminum cast maybe? Magnesium? The assembly care and the tolerances better be 10 times improved.



 


Edited by Hawaiiancerveza - 10/13/11 at 8:16pm
post #71 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

Actually I am happy with the Rev.2.     I have tweaked my rig to the point where it has gotten better each time. The Q Cable, Shunyata Venom 3, Amarra,  still looking for a nice balanced interconnect.  I'm at the point now where the R.2 is not healthy for me because I spend too much time listening to them.  I am far less productive now than I was before the R.2.   I am almost addicted to my rig.  

 

Having said that I would have been unhappy for sure if the LCD-3 was close to the price of the LCD-2, however at $2K I would have to go back into a high end mini monitor because no matter how you slice and dice the sonic logic headphones simply cannot compete with speakers.  In fact happiness for me includes not listening to speakers at all or very little otherwise the allure of sound traveling thru the air is too strong a force and I cannot assimilate to headphone sound. 

 

I have to admit even at $1K it took me a while before I could look at the LCD-2's and not get a sinking feeling in my stomach about the money I spent on a pair of cans and the subsequent amplification needed to power them.   I kept thinking $1K, what have I done!  For a while I kept thinking I was insane and perhaps I am.  I mean $1K really for headphones?  


Doesn't the Rev.2 + Q Cable + Shunyata Venom 3 + Amarra = price of LCD-3? 

 

post #72 of 6599

They look like LCD-2s with a different wood and custom connectors ;)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza View Post

I'm not saying anything towards the entire build.  I wasn't specific enough.  I like the way the wood looks.  Thats all =)  It reminds me of a guitar or something like that.  

Apparently the specs are similar to the LCD-2.  
 



 



 

 

post #73 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylafari View Post

Doesn't the Rev.2 + Q Cable + Shunyata Venom 3 + Amarra = price of LCD-3? 

 


well the LCD-3 in the rig would still be using a Q cable with 2 Shunyata Venom 3's +Amarra so they are still add ons that would stay not go.  Also I would assume I'd still be using the W4S DAC-2 and the V200 unless of course the LCD-3 incorporates an amp and a DAC in the housing.  Anyone?

 

post #74 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

well the LCD-3 in the rig would still be using a Q cable with 2 Shunyata Venom 3's +Amarra so they are still add ons that would stay not go.  Also I would assume I'd still be using the W4S DAC-2 and the V200 unless of course the LCD-3 incorporates an amp and a DAC in the housing.  Anyone?

 


True. Though the addons you use together cost more than a LCD-2 >.>, if only I wasn't a college student ;_; , I'm pretty curious about the Q-Audio cable even though the engineering side of me has its doubts.


Edited by Sylafari - 10/13/11 at 9:24pm
post #75 of 6599

ya'll out to start or move to an LCD-3 discussion thread otherwise this thread will be completely hijacked.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)