Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly CK4 first review - Page 2

post #16 of 249

Someone noted that LO is variable with volume control (like HO). Is this true? [If so, this is an added layer of potential gunk added to the audio output]. If true, can the vol. be defeated? Has anyone compared HO to LO when used with external amp (or pre-amp).

How many CS4398 are in this unit (Teclast/SFlo uses two Wolfson DACs, which is good; those Wolfson DACs, BTW, are equiv. to the Cirrus CS4398 in the CK4)?

What's the LO / HO op-amp  -- i.e., ADA4075? for both LO/HO? That's a 0.75 USD el cheapo op-amp. The QLS-350, e.g., has a much-nicer AD opamp for only ~ 1.0 USD more.

 

EDIT: may have found some answers to my queries above (after an image search)...

T2frlDXdxaXXXXXXXX_!!608396890.jpg

... so one DAC (too bad ... dual differential would add about 3dB to S/N! Still a nice chip.)

 

BTW ... glad Colorfly decided to clean up their mess ... LOL!!!

15215_album.jpg

 

= = = 

Noted from main site http://colorfly.colorful.cn/product.html

that high-end C4 uses ...

·ADI AD823 chip
·CIRRUS LOGIC CS4398 DAC chip
·CIRRUS LOGIC CS8422 SRC chip
·TCXO high-precision crystal Oscillators

Haven't carefully ck'd the PCB image above to determine which of these made it to CK4. Obviously, the AD823 did not. If you're okay with a soldering gun ... that 823 is a nice-sounding OPA ;)

 

EDIT 2:

Notice the Cirrus CS8422 SRC chip? Methinks this is probably for upsampling (comes before CS4398). I don't see one on the CK4 PCB above ... poop! So SQ takes a bit of a hit. Also saw boutique parts (caps, etc.) for the C4 but not CK4. Still, I don't see the former unit being all that much better ... oh but that wood grain ... I'm Jonesin' ... think: American station wagon from the disco era ...

Diane73PintoSquire35rsz.jpg

 

EDIT 3:

 

This flow chart from Colorful.s C4 page shows position of the SRC noted above. AKA: UPSAMPLING. Got woodie?

pic_8u.jpg

 

Refs:

http://mp3.sanhaostreet.com/NewsData/2011/1/201111391645169.shtml

post #17 of 249

so any more comments about this dap?

im very interested to own one.

 

post #18 of 249

I was also some what interested. I want to know s:flo2 vs c4k vs j3

post #19 of 249

Anyone know if this streams audio from USB? I have one, but I don't want to waste money on a cable if it doesn't work.

post #20 of 249
Any info on the firmware updates and how this DAP is performing now? I understand there was bugs.

Has anyone heard it compared to the Colorfly C3?

Thanks..... Any more info is highly needed in this thread.
post #21 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

Any info on the firmware updates and how this DAP is performing now? I understand there was bugs.
Has anyone heard it compared to the Colorfly C3?
Thanks..... Any more info is highly needed in this thread.

I updated the firmware, and it now plays files up to 24/96 without any problems. Haven't tried higher res than that though.

post #22 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfac73 View Post

I updated the firmware, and it now plays files up to 24/96 without any problems. Haven't tried higher res than that though.

How are you liking the sound of it compared to anything else you've tried? And which players would those be?

I'm already a C3 owner, its slightly mid focused but with really nice highs, the low end is rather neutral.

Would you say CK4 sounds similar?
post #23 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


How are you liking the sound of it compared to anything else you've tried? And which players would those be?
I'm already a C3 owner, its slightly mid focused but with really nice highs, the low end is rather neutral.
Would you say CK4 sounds similar?

IMHO it doesn't actually sound that impressive with  HD or non- HD files. It's better than any iPod I own, but not better than my Sony Z-series, or Voodoo'ed Galaxy (the best sounding DAP I've heard). That's just my relatively uneducated opinion though.

post #24 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfac73 View Post

IMHO it doesn't actually sound that impressive with  HD or non- HD files. It's better than any iPod I own, but not better than my Sony Z-series, or Voodoo'ed Galaxy (the best sounding DAP I've heard). That's just my relatively uneducated opinion though.

Thank you! I might put this on standby.
post #25 of 249

I love my CK4. This is the best portable player. Why? It has very good and powerful sound like iPod+100$<Amplifier, good materials, construction, good and easy interface, works fine with microSDHC, works about 10-12 hours, has line-out, has a good price. 
It is better than stock Teclast T51 and HiFiman 601, much better than all iPods/Sonys/Cowons etc in terms of sound quality.
Using Colorfly CK4 about 2 months as a main portable player and i'm happy.

post #26 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

I love my CK4. This is the best portable player. Why? It has very good and powerful sound like iPod+100$

It is better than stock Teclast T51 and HiFiman 601, much better than all iPods/Sonys/Cowons etc in terms of sound quality.

Using Colorfly CK4 about 2 months as a main portable player and i'm happy.

Thank you for your insight!
post #27 of 249

H20Fidelity get it and i will be waiting for your review between c3 and ck4!!  ck4 technically should be better than c3

post #28 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire8888 View Post

H20Fidelity get it and i will be waiting for your review between c3 and ck4!!  ck4 technically should be better than c3

I'm considering mate, definitely considering.

Again if any other members had / own CK4 we want to hear from you!
post #29 of 249

I'll try to say some more words, but my English is not for all:):):)

post #30 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

I'll try to say some more words, but my English is not for all:)smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif

That's ok, I think your English was very good. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly CK4 first review