Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 429

post #6421 of 13446

i hope this helps with ur search for a dac:

 

http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2012/dacs

 

and this:

 

http://www.alldacinfo.com/?page_id=242

 

or this:

 

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue66/dsd_dacs.htm

 

 

review of the dac of mytek

 

http://www.hifi-advice.com/mytek-192DSD-review.html

 

hope it can help u in ur search...

post #6422 of 13446

Thank you for the links beerchug.gif

post #6423 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Jolida ballpark...Bel Canto and similar are going to be too rich for my blood at this time.

 

I'll check out those suggestions, thanks again!


the original octave (metrum is dutch company) doesnt have usb input....but the v2 does (but it is more expensive)...and it goes in one enclosure now instead of two as the original one...and its a NOS dac...it sounds very natural...but also very unforgiving to the source! bad input..bad output!


Edited by hifimanrookie - 7/23/13 at 10:34am
post #6424 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


the original octave (metrum is dutch company) doesnt have usb input....but the v2 does (but it is more expensive)...and it goes in one enclosure now instead of two as the original one...and its a NOS dac...it sounds very natural...but also very unforgiving to the source! bad input..bad output!

This one may be a good candidate, I'll be using optical anyway so USB is not absolutely necessary.  I've got a few more suggestions now so time to read up on them smily_headphones1.gif

post #6425 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

This one may be a good candidate, I'll be using optical anyway so USB is not absolutely necessary.  I've got a few more suggestions now so time to read up on them smily_headphones1.gif

If you can DIY, the DDDAC1794 is mighty fine (and cheap, too)

 

The Metrum Dacs, while quite good, are not for everyone. Best to get an audition rather than reading up the glowing review and blind buy tongue_smile.gif

post #6426 of 13446

Just got my HE-500s. Some impressions (compared to HE-400):

- More forward mids and fuller sound

- Smoother treble. Cymbals sound much better

- Voices are better portrayed. Female voices sound awesome, really.

- HE-400s have more(quantity) and better(quality) bass. But the bass on these is still pretty good.

I'm using the velours by the way. Didn't test it with the pleathers, but it'll probably change for worse, so I won't even bother.

By the way, first thing I noticed is that HE-500's atleast as loud as HE-400 at the same mark on my amp's volume pot(Burson HA-160). Actually I feel it's even louder. It's probably due to the less recessed mids, compared to HE-400. I can go further too without fearing the treble will hurt my ears.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with these. Although I'm not really sure yet if they're worth the $300 plus compared to HE-400, I don't regret buying it. Great headphones, really.


Edited by Okamoto - 7/23/13 at 1:21pm
post #6427 of 13446

Man, bass is really better on HE-400s. I'm impressed. Anyone know the reason?


Edited by Okamoto - 7/23/13 at 1:27pm
post #6428 of 13446

Burn-in?

post #6429 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi View Post

Burn-in?

 

I hope so. But even if it doesn't change, bass on HE-500 is still satisfying. It's just that HE-400s is simply stellar.

post #6430 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

If you can DIY, the DDDAC1794 is mighty fine (and cheap, too)

 

The Metrum Dacs, while quite good, are not for everyone. Best to get an audition rather than reading up the glowing review and blind buy tongue_smile.gif

Of all the DIY DAC projects I've looked into, I've not seen this one yet...have you had the opportunity to hear one in action?  Reading about it now, so far so good cool.gif

post #6431 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

 

I hope so. But even if it doesn't change, bass on HE-500 is still satisfying. It's just that HE-400s is simply stellar.


Easy solution.  While your Burson is a pretty strong amp, it doesn't have as much power as speaker amps.  If you could, try the HE500 on a speaker amp.  I personally believe that the bass will improve even further running the HE500 off speaker taps.  IMO, any more bass than what I am getting from running my HE500 off Emotiva Mini-X will be too much and throw things off balance for my listening taste.

Regardless, I agree that HE500 is great.

post #6432 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Man, bass is really better on HE-400s. I'm impressed. Anyone know the reason?

The HE-400 is measured to have lower distortion at low frequencies than the HE-500. So bass is going to be cleaner.
post #6433 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Of all the DIY DAC projects I've looked into, I've not seen this one yet...have you had the opportunity to hear one in action?  Reading about it now, so far so good cool.gif

I rarely recommend stuff I haven't had extensive time with. That said, I heard the one with 1 dac board, wave io, psu x 2 with Mundorf coupling cap. I think it's hard to beat for the price, only downsize is you'll need a case, or mount everything on a plastic/wooden block tongue_smile.gif. Apart from a very nice sound, another thing I like is that it can be wired either as RCA out , or as a balance dac (XLR out, with or without caps - your choice) - very flexible when you want to try out balance rig.

 

If you like it, you could later upgrade it by going for a 8 dac boards + transformer output.

post #6434 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post


Easy solution.  While your Burson is a pretty strong amp, it doesn't have as much power as speaker amps.  If you could, try the HE500 on a speaker amp.  I personally believe that the bass will improve even further running the HE500 off speaker taps.  IMO, any more bass than what I am getting from running my HE500 off Emotiva Mini-X will be too much and throw things off balance for my listening taste.

Regardless, I agree that HE500 is great.


The problem is not quantity. It's quality: HE-400s bass seems cleaner and more texturized. I have no problem with HE-500s bass quantity at all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post


The HE-400 is measured to have lower distortion at low frequencies than the HE-500. So bass is going to be cleaner.


Now that you mention, I remember someone saying that. Guess I'm not alone on this.


Edited by Okamoto - 7/23/13 at 2:26pm
post #6435 of 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

I rarely recommend stuff I haven't had extensive time with. That said, I heard the one with 1 dac board, wave io, psu x 2 with Mundorf coupling cap. I think it's hard to beat for the price, only downsize is you'll need a case, or mount everything on a plastic/wooden block tongue_smile.gif. Apart from a very nice sound, another thing I like is that it can be wired either as RCA out , or as a balance dac (XLR out, with or without caps - your choice) - very flexible when you want to try out balance rig.

 

If you like it, you could later upgrade it by going for a 8 dac boards + transformer output.

Good to know biggrin.gif it will be a serious consideration, as it certainly appears to be an excellent value and I'm all for that - I think assembly and finding/making a case for it would be no problem either.  The option to make it balanced could also be very useful down the road.  The fact that it's easily upgradeable and modular design is a huge plus in my book.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .