or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp - Page 27

post #391 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMan View Post




3 weeks to Australia from recieving payment.


Mine took just as long if it makes you feel any better, and Canada is a fair bit closer I would reckon.

post #392 of 827

Not really 

post #393 of 827

Hi Skylab,

 

Firstly, thanks for the informative and well written review.

 

I note you state in this thread, and in the main T1 thread, that you prefer the T1 with tubes. Please could I trouble you to expand on this, and why you prefer this combination over the T1+Concerto? I'm almost set on purchasing the T1 and Concerto (along with the stageDAC) to pair together as my first serious head-fi setup. The only think which is holding me back are comments which state the T1 pairs better with tubes, and suggestions that tube amps are better able to deliver the high voltage required by headphones such as the T1, etc.

 

I've also read several comments, including those in your review, which state the T1 and the Concerto pair very well together and that the Concerto is easily able to drive the T1 to high volumes. I just want to be sure the Concerto has absolute command over the T1 (i.e. able to provide high resolution even at low volumes, etc.).

 

Thanks.

post #394 of 827

Hello guys:looking for anyone close to Norfolk, Virginia or within 200 miles who has a new Concerto that might let me have a listen?  A date and time at your convenience of course, and I would use my headphones and try to compensate your time with a c.d. or dvd or something. Thanks again, and if you know someone who might help, please pass this request along.....

post #395 of 827

Nice review thanks, looks like a good amp 

post #396 of 827
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr41 View Post

Hi Skylab,

 

Firstly, thanks for the informative and well written review.

 

I note you state in this thread, and in the main T1 thread, that you prefer the T1 with tubes. Please could I trouble you to expand on this, and why you prefer this combination over the T1+Concerto? I'm almost set on purchasing the T1 and Concerto (along with the stageDAC) to pair together as my first serious head-fi setup. The only think which is holding me back are comments which state the T1 pairs better with tubes, and suggestions that tube amps are better able to deliver the high voltage required by headphones such as the T1, etc.

 

I've also read several comments, including those in your review, which state the T1 and the Concerto pair very well together and that the Concerto is easily able to drive the T1 to high volumes. I just want to be sure the Concerto has absolute command over the T1 (i.e. able to provide high resolution even at low volumes, etc.).

 

Thanks.


The Concerto does indeed control the T1 well, and the two pair well together. 

 

I slightly preferred the T1 on the similarly priced Decware CSP-2, however.  The other tube amps I have used it with cost more than the Concerto, some much more.  Even the CSP-2 is a good bit more when you factor in a set of NOS tubes for it (which it needs to sound its best IMO).

 

To be fair about SS vs Tubes, I do not have a lot of other SS amps with which to try the T1. Since the Meier performed as well with it as the $1,500 SS Blossom amp I recently reviewed, it gets an easy recommendation from me as a good value high-end SS amp with which to use the T1.

post #397 of 827

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The Concerto does indeed control the T1 well, and the two pair well together. 

 

[...]


Thanks for your response Skylab, I appreciate it. Please may I ask what it was that you slightly preferred about the T1+CSP-2 vs. the T1+Concerto?

 

I totally agree with you about the value the Concerto represents, especially for me as a UK resident. Shipping tube amplifiers over long distances is very expensive (and whether it'll make it in one piece is a worry!), not to mention potential import tax, etc. Additionally, Jan is offering a very competitive price for the Concerto, StageDAC and T1 purchased together - I can't find anything that will beat it on the price front!


From the reading I've done it appears there aren't many SS amps that can touch it in it's price category. By paying attention to the fundamentals, it seems Jan has created a very high quality and versatile amp.

post #398 of 827
Thread Starter 

It's just that touch of tube magic in the mids.  Hard to explain, really.

post #399 of 827

The point I would add to this - and I have never heard the T1s let alone the combos above - is that the tube magic is quite dependant on the quality of the (usually NOS) tubes. It's a whole new pursuit and expense. As someone who uses tubes, I am thinking more and more about the benefits of high-end SS.

 

No doubt though: tubes can be magic.


Edited by cooperpwc - 8/17/10 at 7:14pm
post #400 of 827

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

It's just that touch of tube magic in the mids.  Hard to explain, really.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

The point I would add to this - and I have never heard the T1s let alone the combos above

[...]

 

Thanks for your input guys, it's appreciated. I have a Little Dot I+ Hybrid amp on the way to pair with my uDac and Senn. HD 25-1 to see if I can get a taste of the tube sound (and have some fun rolling tubes and opamps) before making any big decisions.

post #401 of 827

Finally got the Concerto, took 17 (3 weeks and 2 days) business days, woooo, was a long wait. Maybe Jan should consider another company or method of shipping, at least an Express option.

 

Will give some feedback after a few days behind the wheel of my new toy.

 

P.S One thing I have noticed right away was clicking noise when the amp is switched to High Gain and full volume (no actual sound from source).

 

Edit: noise is coming from my soundcard rca's, how to eliminate the noise? I really like the added boost of volume with high gain. Do I have to get shielded cables?


Edited by HDMan - 8/18/10 at 1:42am
post #402 of 827

What soundcard have you got?

post #403 of 827


I would say yeah shielded cables, not sure if it will make a huge difference though.  I personally went the route of Firewire external sound card basically (Saffire Pro 24 dsp) and it is nice.  But from memory my EMU 0404 never had the issue that you are having.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMan View Post

Finally got the Concerto, took 17 (3 weeks and 2 days) business days, woooo, was a long wait. Maybe Jan should consider another company or method of shipping, at least an Express option.

 

Will give some feedback after a few days behind the wheel of my new toy.

 

P.S One thing I have noticed right away was clicking noise when the amp is switched to High Gain and full volume (no actual sound from source).

 

Edit: noise is coming from my soundcard rca's, how to eliminate the noise? I really like the added boost of volume with high gain. Do I have to get shielded cables?

post #404 of 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMan View Post

Finally got the Concerto, took 17 (3 weeks and 2 days) business days, woooo, was a long wait. Maybe Jan should consider another company or method of shipping, at least an Express option.

 

Will give some feedback after a few days behind the wheel of my new toy.

 

P.S One thing I have noticed right away was clicking noise when the amp is switched to High Gain and full volume (no actual sound from source).

 

Edit: noise is coming from my soundcard rca's, how to eliminate the noise? I really like the added boost of volume with high gain. Do I have to get shielded cables?


There is clicking on the volume pot when you turn it (if it is on) and it supposed to be like that. 

 

Other than that, I have not much success using an external amp with my PC's soundcard. Lots of noise from my graphics card. And try as I might, groundloop and all, there has been no remedy.

 

But, more importantly, why on earth are you using the high gain setting with the D7000?

 

Are you planning on deafening yourself? I never used high gain with the D7000 at all... way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud.

 

Also, as far as I understand, when using attenuation, it is best to have the amp running as close to max as possible (for SQ). So high gain, with the pot low is theoretically worse than low gain with pot almost at max. I could be wrong though.

post #405 of 827

Volume is fine with normal gain setting, BUT on my HDAV1.3, there is an option to expand the environment with virtual 7.1 positioning. When I expand the positioning to it's most outer perimiter, the sound drops and on some movies the sound is really quite. The effect is a wider soundstage.

 

It is still ok with the normal Dolby Headphone without the 7.1 positioning and sound is clean and loud with normal gain setting.

 

I get no noise at all from the soundcard with the normal gain setting.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp