Taping the back of the DT250 pads prevents the bass from getting out of control.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/28/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )tagged by System, 3/31/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/28/10
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Basshead dockworker here! DT770 vs Bose Triport for indie and industrial, and other stuff Last post on 2/21/12 at 9:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 earpads? Last post on 6/26/11 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- My search for closed back, deep earcup, comfortable, audiophile sound... Last post on 4/8/15 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- First post, need a good recommendation on full size 'phones for ~$150 Last post on 10/10/10 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about studio monitoring/mixing Last post on 2/1/11 at 12:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50? - Page 10post #136 of 4358/30/10 at 11:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 4358/31/10 at 4:26ampost #138 of 4358/31/10 at 1:09pmpost #139 of 4358/31/10 at 2:33pm
No I don't use it - it increases the bass.
Once you get velours involved controlling that bass becomes a major mission.
I keep thinking I have it then realise, no, it was just better than before but still not good.
I have to admit that I am getting close to giving up and buying some new pleather ones.
Will have a further mess around with internal damping in one last chance to bring the mid-bass back under control then I'm through.post #140 of 4358/31/10 at 3:45pm
Thanks Eddie. I didn't try the beyers with the tape yet but I didn't particularly like them without. With or without the foam. They're not bad with no foam but the pleather is just so much better.
My pleathers have lasted really long, 18 months now and theyre still not dead, just a little cracky - must be less reactive to my skin or something. THinking about it now I should prob have bought another set of those than the velours, although they are more comfortable.
Edited by choob - 8/31/10 at 4:01pmpost #141 of 4359/4/10 at 6:12pm
I switched out back to the pleather pads and listened to them while I did the tape more cleanly and to be honest I did not hear much of a difference in quality from the pleather and the velour pads. Now I did notice that the bass is much stronger with the velour to which it actually feels like a pair of clippers are on my ears on certain songs but it did not mess with the sound like it did without the tape. I am using a Penguin Amp when using these headphones with the bass boost on.
I kind of went crazy with the tape. It is two layers criss cross with the tape overlapping half. So really it is like 4 layers of tape. It was easier to do with the band folded back and I could just cut away the excess.post #142 of 4359/7/10 at 5:36pm
Tried the mod but I just don't think it was all that worth it IMO.
At least for me the cost of sound leaking was something I couldn't afford to do.
I also felt the velours gave you less ear space and because of that
it gave me the impression of a smaller soundstage and clarity.
However the comfort was great, but for me the pleather actually beat velour in this round.post #143 of 43510/1/10 at 7:54pm
I still want to know how that picture with the gray velour pads got there. Are they just dt770 cushions mashed in there? I doubt it because they look like they fit snug. I just got the dt250 cushions, and they're comfortable but definitely not the same comfy material like the 770's. The dt770's are VERY soft. Does anyone have a clue what pads those could be?post #144 of 43510/1/10 at 8:02pmpost #145 of 43512/5/10 at 6:25pm
I'm resurrecting this thread because maybe the following info will be of help... about two months ago I ordered dt-250 velour pads for my mdr-7506 (or V6) and I noticed that the site I purchased them from (BH photo) also sells velour pads from another brand called Pearstone that fit the V6/7506.....So, maybe they would be a good fit for the M-50 as well. I love the sound of these cans (although I still don't own a pair), and it would be wonderful if there were another velour alternative. hope this is of help to someone willing to experiment. cheerspost #146 of 43512/5/10 at 7:38pm
You mean the ones in this link?
- - For Sony MDR-7506/MDR-V6
- - For Audio Technica ATHM30
- - Velour for Comfort
Well, the ATH-M30 has drivers that are slightly smaller than the M50, 40 mm versus 45 mm which is approximately 1/5 of an inch less in diameter. The Sonys mentioned also have 40mm drivers. I would assume that also means the M30 cups are smaller than those on the M50. Which would also imply that these pads are too small.
Actually, some asked this question earlier this year:Quote:Sales Dude McBoob Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pmnuxnamon wrote:
do you happen to know if these fit the ATH-M50? the earpads are probably my only complaint on those cans..
After experimental surgery, the prognosis has been confirmed...
These things totally don't fit on the ATH-M50's.
Thus, we'd have to look for velour pads that fit headphones with 45mm drivers.Quote:Originally Posted by Ouspensky
I'm resurrecting this thread because maybe the following info will be of help... about two months ago I ordered dt-250 velour pads for my mdr-7506 (or V6) and I noticed that the site I purchased them from (BH photo) also sells velour pads from another brand called Pearstone that fit the V6/7506.....So, maybe they would be a good fit for the M-50 as well. I love the sound of these cans (although I still don't own a pair), and it would be wonderful if there were another velour alternative. hope this is of help to someone willing to experiment. cheers
Edited by WonderSlug - 12/5/10 at 7:40pmpost #147 of 43512/5/10 at 7:45pm
I've tried putting dt250 pads on my m50's before I sold them. They stayed on there for a total of about five minutes before immediately reverting to the stock leather pads. The bass was horribly exaggerated, overpowering all of the mids and highs. The comfort and un-sweatiness factor was definitely not worth the sound quality decrease.
Bassheads, however, may like it. I already thought the m50's had some extreme bass, but this mod brought it over the top.post #148 of 43512/5/10 at 8:02pm
that's such a shame. Well the quest continues to find a replacement pad for the beloved M-50 that suits us the velour fans. I love those cans but I am holding out until such a thing can be achieved....post #149 of 43512/5/10 at 9:20pm
I have a near mint ATH-M50s that I bought from a fellow Head-Fi'er and the only real complaint I have about it is the leatherette pads. I also like velour pads. :)post #150 of 43512/5/10 at 9:31pm
My Astro A40 headset and M50 recently crossed paths and I noticed the pads on both to be almost identical in shape (1st gen headset, not sure if shape has changed since). I didn't try swapping as both cans are now on ebay and I wanted to preserve their near new condition. I found the Astro pads to be extremely comfortable on the Astro. It'd be interesting to see what it does to the M50 sound signature. You can get them HERE if someone's game.
- Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 4 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 9 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 10 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 13 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 14 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 14 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 14 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 14 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 16 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 16 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear