Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!! - Page 37

post #541 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

Done. Wow. The refined highs from the stock pads are back. Not as dull and dark as my second experience, which was a bit of cloth, yet no sibilance of unmodded oval pads. I don't have a lot of experience with quality gear and the best source I've ever had is a humble Cowon D2+ (rockboxed and patched for added voltage) so I wasn't sure I'd be able to hear the difference, but now it's obvious that the worst thing about sibilance (for me) is not even the harshness but a lack of timbre. The highs just didn't sound like real thing before your mod. So yeah, thanks a ton!

It's actually quite common, the paper mod. The sennheiser HD-25 1 II comes with paper in front of the driver right from the factory. Or atleast something that looks very similar to paper!

post #542 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I can imagine the stock cable coming in handy during dj gigs. It's also incredibly strong, I seriously could not cut it with a normal scissors. Had to do it with some really sharp scissors instead.

 

 

Seriously, this headphone just doubled it's worth for me!

 

 

A bit of duck-tape to hold the cables in place while i insert the foam and driver!

 

Looks great with the Mogami, did you got the 4 conductors cable?

post #543 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

It's probably the cheapest, and best mod available for this headphone! I actually think they're less sibilant now than with the stock pads.

Maybe it just seems less sibilant because the entire treble range is boosted, and not just 6khz region, which causes the sibilance.

And these headphones improve greatly when attached to a better source/amp. I use the fiio e7-e9 combo. Best thing is, you can get this combo under 200 dollars easily but it sounds really really good.

 

Glad I could help!

 

Now do the cable mod! :D

I was thinking about getting Audioquest Dragonfly someday, but E7 (or E17) might a better next step, given their versatility and price. Not that you can get fiio that cheap in Moscow, but who knows. I mean, I did manage to somehow get my GMs cheaper than they are listed on german-maestro-shop.de :)

 

But if I do get Dragonfly, I may consider recabling the cans with something less intimidating than the stock things. No big *** plugs, that's for sure :D

As it is, I haven't done enjoying them and I'm pretty afraid to mess with them, given my zero experience with soldering etc.

post #544 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

Looks great with the Mogami, did you got the 4 conductors cable?

Yes sir!

It's this one: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/ it's actually a microphone cable, so it should be very durable?

post #545 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

I was thinking about getting Audioquest Dragonfly someday, but E7 (or E17) might a better next step, given their versatility and price. Not that you can get fiio that cheap in Moscow, but who knows. I mean, I did manage to somehow get my GMs cheaper than they are listed on german-maestro-shop.de :)

 

But if I do get Dragonfly, I may consider recabling the cans with something less intimidating than the stock things. No big *** plugs, that's for sure :D

As it is, I haven't done enjoying them and I'm pretty afraid to mess with them, given my zero experience with soldering etc.

Ohw man, you can get the fiio e7 for about 70 euros on ebay, but the gmps really do sound better coupled with the e9!

You could also get the dragonfly, and a big amp like the e9? Maybe even a tube amp like the little dot!

 

And I actually got the big plug because it's much much easier to solder, because there's just much more between the solder areas. And it just looks badass. 

If you have an old headphone somewhere, practice on those first.

But I have to say the cable is really easy to replace on the gmp, it's all very neat and the internal cables are pretty tough and thick.

Also if you want I could help you step by step, with photos.

post #546 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Ohw man, you can get the fiio e7 for about 70 euros on ebay, but the gmps really do sound better coupled with the e9!

You could also get the dragonfly, and a big amp like the e9? Maybe even a tube amp like the little dot!

 

And I actually got the big plug because it's much much easier to solder, because there's just much more between the solder areas. And it just looks badass. 

If you have an old headphone somewhere, practice on those first.

But I have to say the cable is really easy to replace on the gmp, it's all very neat and the internal cables are pretty tough and thick.

Also if you want I could help you step by step, with photos.

I don't know. It's hard to think of Fiio now that I know Leckerton exists (damn you Head-Fi! :D). There's no rush anyway: I've got other things to spend on and I've yet to enjoy listening to half of my collection on the current setup.

For the cable, still not sure if I'll get around to it any time soon, but if I do, might end with some Klotz things that already have 3.5 plug on one end.

Do you have to solder the other end, inside the cup?

post #547 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post

I don't know. It's hard to think of Fiio now that I know Leckerton exists (damn you Head-Fi! :D). There's no rush anyway: I've got other things to spend on and I've yet to enjoy listening to half of my collection on the current setup.

For the cable, still not sure if I'll get around to it any time soon, but if I do, might end with some Klotz things that already have 3.5 plug on one end.

Do you have to solder the other end, inside the cup?

Never heard of leckerton, but I probably want it. But if you can get the fiio e7/e9 for a good price, go for it. It's really solid imo. 

You could indeed get one of those klotz cables, but I just liked hand picking every piece of the cable :)

 

And yes, the other side of the cable needs to be soldered to the wires that are attached to the drivers.

 

Underneath the tape the wires are soldered together.

post #548 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

Been away from the forum for a few weeks so I thought I'd share my impressions of the v900/7509 (non-HD) which I got used on ebay. Been listening to them almost daily since getting them, and they've given me almost everything I hoped for and more. They're a major upgrade over the v-6 for a portable, imo....besting them in almost all areas. I wanted a good portable without spending a lot of money, so for a bit over $60 used, I got way more than my money's worth. I was hoping for a closed version of the hd580, and I have to say, the v900 isn't a closed hd600/580. It's not as refined for sure, but I really didn't expect it to be, considering the price differential and the fact it's closed. However the detail retrieval is VERY good and the treble, while not very refined, is about the exact level that I like....a bit more than the hd580, but less than the 240DF, which was giving me sibilance problems. The mids sound very smooth and natural...with maybe a little dip in the upper mids, making them very non-fatiguing and flattering with vocals. The biggest flaw is a pretty big bump in the low end, but I wasn't looking for perfection in a portable phone, especially considering my budget. But most of my listening is focused on the mids and the detail and clarity is really impressive. They totally kill the v6, imo. I honestly could listen to them all day without fatigue and without feeling I'm missing a lot compared to my higher priced phones. Perhaps one day I'll get a good deal on a second hand GMP. I'm very interested in those after following this thread, but until that day, I'm more than happy with the v900 as a closed portable. 

I'm glad you like them, that proves that you don't need to spend monumental amounts of money to be satisfied.

Also a bass hump can be pleasant, especially in the train/bus or other noisy environments! 

post #549 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Never heard of leckerton, but I probably want it.

Yes you do ;)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012

 

 

Quote:
And yes, the other side of the cable needs to be soldered to the wires that are attached to the drivers.

I wonder if it's possible to install some kind of connector while I'm at it (mind you, I'm not at it yet) like mini-jack maybe. Or if there's any disadvantage to that.

post #550 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I'm glad you like them, that proves that you don't need to spend monumental amounts of money to be satisfied.

Also a bass hump can be pleasant, especially in the train/bus or other noisy environments! 

An audio engineer on one of the home recording forums raved about the 7509, and that's one of the reasons I decided to try the v900(same drivers). The dt250 is another good closed phone that can sometimes be found for an affordable price...unfortunately people who have them are usually reluctant to let them go. I had the 80ohm version and liked it a whole lot other than finding the highs a little laid back. 

post #551 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

An audio engineer on one of the home recording forums raved about the 7509, and that's one of the reasons I decided to try the v900(same drivers). The dt250 is another good closed phone that can sometimes be found for an affordable price...unfortunately people who have them are usually reluctant to let them go. I had the 80ohm version and liked it a whole lot other than finding the highs a little laid back. 

 

Maybe one day you should compare them to the 8.35. happy_face1.gif

post #552 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

Maybe one day you should compare them to the 8.35. happy_face1.gif

Yes, I'd love to hear those one day....along with the Sony cd900st, though i've read that those are very light in the bass. I wonder if anyone has compared the 8.35 to the dt250/250ohms. The beyers get glowing reviews for a closed phone.  I like having a low impedance phone to use with my 'clip' without the need for a portable amp. That's the main reason I enjoy the v900 so much....it sounds great out of the clip.  I think you've heard the k240S or the 240mkII? The v900 has more clarity and detail in the mids and a bit more treble presence than those.....but I still prefer something about the 240 mids... especially for vocals. Sinatra sounds awesome with the k240s! happy_face1.gif


Edited by lejaz - 10/16/12 at 7:36am
post #553 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

I wonder if anyone has compared the 8.35 to the dt250/250ohms.

 

I would like to know this to!

I think headfier donunus has heard and compared both, but I'm not sure where I've found this...

The DT250 250Ohms seems to be exactly what I'm looking for soundwise (but to good to be truth...) and isolation seems to be ok, but the channel imbalance issues I've read just get on my nerves... I'm not sure if I can trust Beyer to provide a well functioning unit taking into acount the ridiculous QC issues with their Tesla headphones!

post #554 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I can imagine the stock cable coming in handy during dj gigs. It's also incredibly strong, I seriously could not cut it with a normal scissors. Had to do it with some really sharp scissors instead.

 

 

A bit of duck-tape to hold the cables in place while i insert the foam and driver!


Thanks for the pic!

post #555 of 951

What's with this sudden DT250 love?

When I entered Head-Fi, they were known for having no soundstage at all, dull sounding and uncomfortable because of small earpads.....


Edited by Tiemen - 10/16/12 at 11:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!