Zune vs ZVM vs Toshiba Gigabeat 60GB
Mar 10, 2007 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kobansora

New Head-Fier
I've been really indecisive lately about getting a DAP.... Really really indecisive.

I went out and tested both the Zune and ZVM for about 3 hours straight and ended up getting a Zune a week later. I''ll list the ups and downs for both of these players first:

-Zune-
+Larger screen
+Better SQ
+Wireless photo sharing
+Tactile buttons
+UI is easy to get around and look through artists, genres, and etc.
+FM Radio with nice reception
+Very mature and simple looking; Easy on the eyes
+Body isn't easily scratched!
+Viewing angles have no limits
-Larger screen=Larger pixels=Muddier graphics
-Music sharing is very limited
-Battery indicator that fools with you (Empty battery meter lasts you another 6 hours)
-Screen isn't as lively as the ZVM
-Very faulty program (Like WMP but with Zune connectivity)
-My Zune kept adding artists by itself, even though I fixed the ID3 tags
-Supports only two video formats that need to be specifically convereted to
-Software converts videos into low quality WMVs
-No multilingual support!
-Everythign converts to 320x240

-ZVM-
+Brighter, more vibrant screen than the Zune
+Very sensitive touch pad
+Easy to navigate UI
+FM Radio
+Voice recorder (Sometimes these little functions do a lot depending on your style)
+Organizer, Calendar, and a Clock! (I need these big time)
+Customizable equalizer
+Supports 640x480 videos!
-Annoying start-up
-Slightly lower SQ than the Zune.... It's noticable. Or maybe it's just the sample songs
-Touch pad is too sensitive
-Tactile left and right buttons are way, way too skinny for their purposes... Pressing them is like trying to put together a Gundam Wing model kit
-Scratches easily, big time

I've decided on a ZVM because it's cheaper than the Zune, plus I've read that you all love its SQ. It also has more functions, and the screen is something to DIE FOR. Have any of you actually bought both the ZVM and Zune and tried out their SQs? I bought the Zune and returned it the next week because it was so, freakin, faulty. The ZVM, however was tested at the close-by CompUSA, so there were only the demo songs which probably had lower SQ than the songs on the Zune. What do you guys think of its SQ compared to the Zune and the iPod?
----------------------------------------------
That's my diddy on the ZVM vs Zune..... But what about the Toshiba Gigabeat?

I found it for the same price as the ZVM and I thought to myself: "ZOMG AEWSOME DEAL!" I mean, it comes with the A/V cable and stuff, which is what I will definately use. If I buy the ZVM A/V cable, it'll cost me another 20 bucks... So yeah.

The Toshiba Gigabeat has the same number of color on screen as the iPod video, which turns me off because I want the best video quality possible.

But I also want really nice SQ because I just upgraded from a Nintendo DS (MIDI) to a PSP (MUDDY SOUND) to a Zune (RICH SQ :O) and now I'm back to nothing. So... What do you guys think of the Gigabeat's SQ? Compared to the ZVM and iPod (B/c I don't think you all have much exp. with the Zune yet)? I might consider getting this because, well, it's a pretty good bargain for the accessories it comes with. I mean... All that for $199.

I heard that the Gigabeat's SQ is crap, but I want all your opinions and comparisons.

Thanks!

~JJ

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the Zune is a rebranded Gigabeat?

Oh yeah, that's right isn't it.... So that means that it would have the same number of colors of the Zune's screen too huh :/

But still, if the Zune IS just a remodeled Gigabeat... Then it would probably have the Zune's superior sound quality. I'm still skeptical though... I want some more feedback on that.

~JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back