Zune software sucks...any Rockbox-ish firmware available?
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #76 of 80
My viewpoint- I am a pc user and have used an Ipod for 5 years before it died on me. I have had Zune 120 gb for a little over a week. I am a software developer and experienced computer user.

My issue with Zune software-
I have found the software to be a resource hog. It tends to run slow and can be a bit clumsy. Podcasts-itunes always downloaded my podcasts, I have already run into a problem with the zune software not downloading podcasts (maybe because I wasn't signed in). 2. The software is slow. 3. Interface is ok after some use. I don't understand why they didn't put more of a windows feel to it. (No edge lines, no title bar, no lines seperating areas, no tree view). 4. Searching podcasts is painful compared to itunes. It is just not as easy to navigate. 5. Syncing. The first time I synced it was understandable slow. After I added some cd's and changed some file information that was not ported correctly from Itunes I synced again. This updated my entire music collection finished and started over 2 times before I stoped the sync. I would think that my new podcasts and music would be the first things synced but they were not even on the device. I will most likely be manually updating my device from now on (which is what I did with Itunes after a while)

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #77 of 80
I really hope that the update that's released when the Zune HD hits takes care of at least a few of the issues we have w/the software. I doubt it though. M$ tends to go backwards, not forwards (taking away features, instead of adding them - as in dumbing down the software AND the newer devices). I really hope they listen to us, at least just ONCE!!!

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #78 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My viewpoint- I am a pc user and have used an Ipod for 5 years before it died on me. I have had Zune 120 gb for a little over a week. I am a software developer and experienced computer user.

My issue with Zune software-
I have found the software to be a resource hog. It tends to run slow and can be a bit clumsy. Podcasts-itunes always downloaded my podcasts, I have already run into a problem with the zune software not downloading podcasts (maybe because I wasn't signed in). 2. The software is slow. 3. Interface is ok after some use. I don't understand why they didn't put more of a windows feel to it. (No edge lines, no title bar, no lines seperating areas, no tree view). 4. Searching podcasts is painful compared to itunes. It is just not as easy to navigate. 5. Syncing. The first time I synced it was understandable slow. After I added some cd's and changed some file information that was not ported correctly from Itunes I synced again. This updated my entire music collection finished and started over 2 times before I stoped the sync. I would think that my new podcasts and music would be the first things synced but they were not even on the device. I will most likely be manually updating my device from now on (which is what I did with Itunes after a while)

the first few sync operations are by default SLOW because the thing is matching your tracks against and syncing metadata back to "the Social" and "The Marketplace" for using the features as Channels, Picks, etc.

About the podcast, try subscribing again. Remove the feed first and subcribe to the podcasts again.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #79 of 80
True, the Zune software is simple but only because it has almost no features. It is painfully slow even on a very fast machine. It has no equivalent of iTunes "Smart playlists". It has only simple, dumb playlists that require the user to manually drag every single song into the playlist one at a time or at most by the album - STUPID!!  The only usable sorting or filtering criteria in it's so called "AutoPlaylists" is the ability to filter by Genre which is completely worthless since this pulls in EVERY song in that Genre. How could any software be more useless and unfriendly?

REALLY???......

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #80 of 80

Quote:
True, the Zune software is simple but only because it has almost no features. It is painfully slow even on a very fast machine. It has no equivalent of iTunes "Smart playlists". It has only simple, dumb playlists that require the user to manually drag every single song into the playlist one at a time or at most by the album - STUPID!!  The only usable sorting or filtering criteria in it's so called "AutoPlaylists" is the ability to filter by Genre which is completely worthless since this pulls in EVERY song in that Genre. How could any software be more useless and unfriendly?

REALLY???......

Autoplaylists have more criterias than that....but of course not on the same level as iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back