Zune screen: big enough for subtitles?
Oct 28, 2007 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mmmpopfanatic

100+ Head-Fier
So, yeah, the title should say it all. It's time to upgrade from my 3-year-old Creative Zen Micro, and I want something for videos as well as music. I'm thinking of getting a Zune 80 when it comes out, and I have a lot of videos with subtitles and I was wondering if anyone here with a 1st gen Zune has used it for watching videos with subs. I know there are other PVPs with bigger screens, however for me, video viewing would be a secondary function to listening to music, and most of the PVPs with such screens are too bulky. Any advice?

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 9
I have used it for plenty of subtitled anime, and I have had no problems reading any of them. 320x240 is a fine resolution for subtitle viewing, in my opinion. You should have no problems.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I can watch subtitled videos (cough...Naruto...Cough) on my NWZ-A818's two inch screen just fine.

I think that the Zune 80 would handle subtitles with ease.

Then again, I have no idea if your eyesight is sharp enough.

Nylan

PS: I'm sure if your 20/20, you're fine

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I've watched movies on and TV Shows with subs on my ZVM and it's fine.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 9
That would depend on the subs. Most anime use fat fonts that have high contrast with the video itself so when it's reduced bilinearly or even nearest neighbor, they look fine. However, there are some subs out there that use really thin fonts or colors that don't have high contrast, and when those are resized, they become completely unreadable.

If you want to make subs easy to read, use bilinear rescaling when you scale down your videos. It also makes everything look 'sharper', although it introduces some aliasing. If you want to use a commercial program, it's hard to tell if a particular program uses bilinear rescaling or not, but the general rule of thumb is that if it advertises speed as one of its key selling points, it's most likely using bilinear.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 9
I watched some episodes of death note on my zune and it was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back