Zune 80 vs. Samsung p2?
Jan 15, 2008 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure which one I wanna get. each one has their advantages, but I can't decide which one to get.

What do you guys think?

I do currently use a Zune 30 right now, but I don't have any music tied up with the Zune marketplace, it's all my own stuff....

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Battery life concerns with Zune 30 are beginning to annoy me. I need at least 20 hours of battery life. That, and the Zune 30 isn't technically mine.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 15
ah. i didn't much like the touch interface of the P2. aside from bluetooth and flash, i can't think of many reasons to choose the P2 over the 80. both have great sound, nice big screen, etc.

in terms of $/GB, the zune is a MUCH better value.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 15
I'd go with the Zune80. The interface is wonderful and the ZunePad is IMO the greatest tacile/touch controller out so far. If you don't mind Zune Marketplace, it'll be a great DAP. Plus the $/GB ratio is much higher.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Battery life concerns with Zune 30 are beginning to annoy me. I need at least 20 hours of battery life. That, and the Zune 30 isn't technically mine.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

What do you do that puts you away from a computer more then 20 hours at a time?

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you do that puts you away from a computer more then 20 hours at a time?

Forgetting to charge an mp3 after one day sucks since I have to ride a bus.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 15
i can't stand the P2's interface. it's clearly got the iPod Touch in its sights with that full touch screen, but it just doesn't work nearly as well. i'm beginning to think a tactile interface is better. i would go with the Zune 80 if it's between those two. the new Zune is a killer product, definitely worth considering for a hard drive based player.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 15
In my opinion it's in a way to different products - it would be more correct to compare Zune 8Gb and P2 - 8Gb , as for 80GB vs 8Gb it depends from your needs, if 8 Gb more then enough I will go for with P2 as it has smaller size and bluetooth sometimes handy, if it's only my one player and I want more then 8gb music with me - choice would be Zune. I don't care to much about UI in players with capacity 8Gb and less, but it makes BIG difference if you have a lot of music.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by igor_f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion it's in a way to different products - it would be more correct to compare Zune 8Gb and P2 - 8Gb , as for 80GB vs 8Gb it depends from your needs, if 8 Gb more then enough I will go for with P2 as it has smaller size and bluetooth sometimes handy, if it's only my one player and I want more then 8gb music with me - choice would be Zune. I don't care to much about UI in players with capacity 8Gb and less, but it makes BIG difference if you have a lot of music.

That's very true. I should say I'm more interested in the features and SQ of the players rather than the space. Honestly, the only reason I'm interested in the Samsung P2 is because of the Bluetooth functions (I mean, answering your phone with your MP3 player is pretty damn neat), and the promise of improved functions with firmware upgrades in the coming months.

I think I'm gonna wait to see what the Samsung P2's firmware upgrade does at the end of the month (GUI is supposed to be improved) and if it doesn't absolutely impresse me, I'll go ahead and order a red Zune 80 from the Zune Originals.

As for the Sony A800's, I've looked into it, but the lack of functions bothers me a bit. It might be a great MP3 player, but I'm a little bit of a gadget freak, and want a little bit more to play with. :p

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 15
Go with the Zune 80. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and i think its one of the better players out there. Its lasted me at least 2 1/2 days on a full charge and I used it about 1/2 of the day each day. And like everyone else has said on here, the $/GB ratio is much higher.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 15
As others have said, these are two very different devices so I urge you to consider your own situation before purchasing.

Reasons to buy a p2
1. Sound quality and 7 channel custom equalizer.
2. Bluetooth connectivity allows up to 3 people to listen to one device, or hook up your phone and use it as a bluetooth headset. The phone feature is especially useful if you use IEMs like me (This is buggy right now but should be fixed in future firmware updates)
3. It is gorgeous. To me this is the perfect size for a dap. Slim but not fragile. The touch navigation could use some work, but there are rumors this will be improved with firmware updates.
4. It has line-out support, but you'd be hard pressed to find a cable. I've resorted to building my own.

I have never owned a zune so I cannot tell you why you should buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back