Zune 8 vs. Sony Walkman
May 10, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought the NWZA728B, and although I haven't done much testing on it, the Zune 8 has caught my attention. It looks great and from reading some replies, sounds just as good.

Now my question is, how does the Zune 8 duke against the current line of Sony Walkmans? Is the build quality good/worse, audio/video quality, etc.

I never really paid much attention to the Zune because it never came to Canada (apparently it's making its debut in mid-June) and the first generation was another "meh" product from what I read.

Thanks

May 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 6
Some features/points of the Zune 8 over the Sony A7xx series
- Gapless playback on all supported codecs
- The UI on device and software integration
- The Social thing, TV shows, podcasts support and online service
- Gaming support
- Future firmware updates
- Ecosystem

I think the Sony wins with its superior SQ and included earphones. Everything else like picture viewing, video support is the same on both players.

May 10, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Excellent analysis above, I have both and while I do enjoy the Sony SQ and EQ options, I still love the Zune80 (not the 8), and the latest software is finally working for me, as I have retagged all my problem files with it (using the edit function), and now I'm a happy camper with the Zune. I use them both, in different ways and at different times. Another commonality? Neither has an available LOD yet, so using them with a portable amp means using the HP out. Bummer.

May 10, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Gaming support
- Ecosystem

I think the Sony wins with its superior SQ and included earphones. Everything else like picture viewing, video support is the same on both players.

So from an audiophile standpart, Sony > Zune? I went from an iPod Touch to my new Sony NWZA728B because of the better SQ/EQ options, so it would sound hypocritical if I got a Zune since all those bonus features the Z has sounds like the jailbroken addons on the Touch.

May 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Gaming support
- Ecosystem

This really piqued my interest, I didn't know Zune 8 could do gapless! A Google search didn't prove too fruitful, could you point me towards some further reading?

More gapless DAP options is always a good thing.

EDIT: lol, should've checked a few threads down (I didn't see the discussion about the new firmware update). I guess I should keep Zunes in mind next time I break my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back