Zu Pivot ... how good?
Aug 21, 2006 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JWolf

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in how good the Zu Pivot mini to rca cable is. Someone I know is thinking of buying one in 1m or .5m but wants to know if they are any good.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Zu makes solid cables, but some people consider them overpriced. However, he shouldn't have a problem with the Pivot. From what I understand, Zu has excellent customer service as well.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 9
I have one, it sounds fine, sound is clear and clean.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 9
The Zu Pivot is detailed and clean sounding. Build quality is good and the cable is flexible.

More imprtantly, the customer service is great (the best I have experienced recently).

I had a problem with my Zu Mobius and wrote to Zu to ask what my options were. The reply was quick and a new cable was sent to me even before I sent them my current one.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Another user here. I'm a fan, but the "how good" question depends on what you're comparing it too. The Pivots show up on the for sale forum regularly so keep an eye out and your friend may save a few bucks.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 9
BlessingX might disagree with me on this, but I consider Audiolineout's cotton RCA-to-Mini to be far superior to the Zu Pivot. That doesn't mean I dislike the Pivot's brighter sound per se. It does mean I won't be buying Zu cables in the future.

At one time, my two Pivots seemed to mark a girthy improvement over DIY ICs I'd used in the past. These days, I find their sound to be overly attenuated.

In my experience, the cheapest way to buy Zu cables is to underbid on the manufacturer's eBay auctions. (One has to keep this up for a few months straight without becoming impatient and bidding above one's target price.) By that method, I was able to pick up a Birth cable for $46. I'd have to check my receipts for prices on my two Pivots, but they were extremely reasonable as well -- twenty-and-change apiece, if I recall corightly.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 9
To my ears, they sound pretty darn good, but what I really love about them is the build quality. I use my Pivot when traveling and it often gets rolled up and thrown in a bag. I'm sure it's been beat around quite a bit, but it's never shown any signs of damage. Those connectors are solid as a rock! The other big plus is the flexibility. It's real nice to be able to pick up my iPod and change the track without having to fight the cable. It's also nice to be able to pack the cable into a small space without having to worry about breaking it.

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 9
i can concur with zu's customer service and build quality but not the sound of the pivot. they always answer my emails timely and my mobius has been chewed on by my cats numerous times and still works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back