zu cable weight
Oct 18, 2003 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robert

500+ Head-Fier
well, considering doing the hd600, again. there was a recent thread with a drawing of the "current" socket showing some nubs on the sides of the socket (thinking of suing, since this was the fix i offered on this ng when my older 600s starting cutting out
very_evil_smiley.gif
). it was, i recall, the mobius. the poster said he filed away some of the nub in order to get insertion.

so the questions:

i've always been concerned that the after-market cables are too massive for that teeny socket (i infer from his hd650 thoughts that jan has such concern), but it makes more sense to get an extra long cable rather than a normal one and a dimarzio extension. has anyone had trouble using a long run mobius/equinox/cardas/etc.?

does headroom ship hd600s with the nubby sockets?

toto en walletus diminuendus

Oct 18, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 5
I use a 15' Cardas with no problems. I don't sense much strain or pull at the sockets you are referring to. The cable is heavy but after the split, the left and right wires are individually much lighter and don't have the weight of the blue housing. However, I am careful when I move around.

Oct 19, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a Cardas 10 footer, before I filed the nubs, it was a snug fit, pretty much exactly as the stock cable.

I filed it to fit the Zu. After contacting Adam at Zu through email, he called me the next morning to work out what the issue was and as far as I could tell he pro-actively contacted everyone who ordered the first run of the cable. In a day, he had the connectors redesigned to be smaller and be the same size as the stock/Cardas connectors.

I cannot vouch for the Equinox or Moon Audio as I have not seen them in person.

Zu's and Cardas', despite my filing off of the nubs are still snug. I can move around a reasonable amount without any strain on the plugs.

Probably will get me criticism for mistreating my equipment but I gave them a slight tug on the plugs, despite the filing, and they are secure.

The Zu's however, are lighter than the Cardas, but are more stiff out of the bag. Both are much stiffer than the stock.

Oct 19, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
I use a 15' Equinox and can dance around in the nude all night without anything falling off.
wink.gif

so i guess the concensus is that extra mass of these cables doesn't matter with the current socket.

now, if i can just get the possibilities of this image out of mind...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back