Zu Cable Pivot cable - DIY info
Oct 14, 2003 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

itza2mer

500+ Head-Fier
One of the RCA developed a problem, and I had to replace it. I went ahead and replaced both RCA plugs and the 3.5 mm stereo plug. I was curious about what type of materials Zu Cable used to make a Pivot cable, and the faulty RCA plug gave me the excuse I needed to find out.

Anyway, for you DIY'ers: the Pivot uses 18 guage silver-plated stranded copper (7 twisted strands), in a white teflon tubing jacket.

It has 4 wires, 2 positive and 2 negative (they didn't cheat by using just 1 wire to ground both channels). The 4 wires are braided together, looks to be a little less that 1". No Foil, or foil braid. No damping.

Connectors: 1- Canare 3.5 mm stereo plug. The cable clamp on the plug is trimmed off so that it will fit inside a 1" long, non-Canare, alumnium handle held into place with a JB Weld type epoxy. The 2 RCA plugs look like the Scosche plugs sold at Parts Express. Also, you would need some Black Techflex, and a 1" piece of 13/8" wide plastic water pipe epoxyed into place (where the "Y" split begins).

You can probably build a DIY Pivot for under $20 if cosmetics are not a concern (example- using lower cost connectors). However, if you want a DIY Pivot that looks like a Zu Cable Pivot, costwise, you may be better off just buying one from Zu Cable on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back