ZMF Bokeh vs Audeze LCD-XC
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice. I am very keen on both the ZMF Bokeh and Audeze LCD-XC, and still reading up on the sound signature of these to determine which one I would lean towards.

One major concern I have though is portability, and I am trying to decide which of the 2 would be easier to drive from a DAP when I'm away from home, either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has more insight than me on this.

The specs:

Audeze: 20 ohms, 100 dB/mW
ZMF: 80 ohms, 103 dB/mW

Trying to decide which would get louder at the lower volume. I was certain it would be the Audeze but I've read a few articles that conflict. I'm still learning about the relationship between impedance sensitivity.

Also if anyone has heard these two would love your impressions. I love my sub bass, impact and soundstage.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice. I am very keen on both the ZMF Bokeh and Audeze LCD-XC, and still reading up on the sound signature of these to determine which one I would lean towards.

One major concern I have though is portability, and I am trying to decide which of the 2 would be easier to drive from a DAP when I'm away from home, either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced.

The specs:

Trying to decide which would get louder at the lower volume. I was certain it would be the Audeze but I've read a few articles that conflict. I'm still learning about the relationship between impedance sensitivity.

Also if anyone has heard these two would love your impressions. I love my sub bass, impact and soundstage.

Thanks in advance.
Both of them are very efficient and would work with all decent DAPs. To reach 110db SPL, LCD-XC requires about 10mW and ZMF around 5mW. You may be worried maybe thinking that you might need higher voltage for ZMF because of its higher impedance, but 0.65V gets you to 110 dB so even apple dongle can drive them perfectly well.

For sound signature, I'd recommend you test them if you can.

For me XC's out of box tuning is not good but it becomes a gem with EQ. Bokeh has quite a few pad options which most likely change the tuning, so if you are not planning on using EQ for some reason, then probably your chances of finding a good tuning with Bokeh would be higher.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Both of them are very efficient and would work with all decent DAPs. To reach 110db SPL, LCD-XC requires about 10mW and ZMF around 5mW. You may be worried maybe thinking that you might need higher voltage for ZMF because of its higher impedance, but 0.65V gets you to 110 dB so even apple dongle can drive them perfectly well.

For sound signature, I'd recommend you test them if you can.

For me XC's out of box tuning is not good but it becomes a gem with EQ. Bokeh has quite a few pad options which most likely change the tuning, so if you are not planning on using EQ for some reason, then probably your chances of finding a good tuning with Bokeh would be higher.
Thanks for the info!!

Leaning towards the Audeze... funnily enough I called and spoke to a headphone store here that is taking preorders for the Bokeh and they were very honest in saying in their opinion the Bokeh actually sounded quite thin when they tried it, and recommended waiting to demo before buying.

Still tempted by them, might have to play the waiting game.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi all,

The specs:

Thanks in advance.
Here is another option custom headphone made to your preference in sound

Reach out to him, find put if these can fit your needs.
https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/product-page/new-limited-edition-check-here-frequently

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 8
I loved mine way better than both of them and tune to your prefernce.and easier to drive from a dap.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I loved mine way better than both of them and tune to your prefernce.and easier to drive from a dap.
Oofftttt they look awesome!

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info!!

Leaning towards the Audeze... funnily enough I called and spoke to a headphone store here that is taking preorders for the Bokeh and they were very honest in saying in their opinion the Bokeh actually sounded quite thin when they tried it, and recommended waiting to demo before buying.

Still tempted by them, might have to play the waiting game.
This is the first time I've heard of a ZMF sounding thin. I haven't heard this headphone so I can't comment, but I'd be very surprised. I would definitely think that the Audeze has a better chance of sounding than than the ZMF. But this is speculation based on what I've heard of the two brands.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Oofftttt they look awesome!
Listening to mine no eq. And sound amazing. I try that with my Stellia I had to put eq to make them sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back