Zif cable for Toshiba HDD 1813 mk1231gal?
Jun 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had to get a 40pin zif cable for this HDD? Which one did you get & where did you get it from? (Ones that were sucessful fits, Thanks!)

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Why do you ask? The MK1231GAL only works in the 80 and 120 gb ipod classic and 80gb zune - which should come with an appropriate cable.

Nobody knows why this drive is so picky. Toshiba, Apple, and Microsoft must know, but they aren't telling. The datasheet insists that it's standards-compliant PATA, but nobody has been successful using it in anything but two very specific DAPs. Doesn't work in netbooks. Doesn't work in other daps. Doesn't work in a usb enclosure.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you ask? The MK1231GAL only works in the 80 and 120 gb ipod classic and 80gb zune - which should come with an appropriate cable.

Nobody knows why this drive is so picky. Toshiba, Apple, and Microsoft must know, but they aren't telling. The datasheet insists that it's standards-compliant PATA, but nobody has been successful using it in anything but two very specific DAPs. Doesn't work in netbooks. Doesn't work in other daps. Doesn't work in a usb enclosure.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this drive . I took it out of my Ipod Classic & was going to use it to replace the Hitachi HDD in my Korg MR-1 w/ it. This was the second time I've seen this mentioned. A website called RapidRepair says the same thing in their listing of this drive, but the site appears to be heavily dedicated to Ipod & Zune mods so I was'nt sure if it was marketing that influenced their statements. Thank again.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the "heads up" on this drive . I took it out of my Ipod Classic & was going to use it to replace the Hitachi HDD in my Korg MR-1 w/ it. This was the second time I've seen this mentioned. A website called RapidRepair says the same thing in their listing of this drive, but the site appears to be heavily dedicated to Ipod & Zune mods so I was'nt sure if it was marketing that influenced their statements. Thank again.

I have one. It doesn't work in anything I own. I feel like a total fool for buying it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one. It doesn't work in anything I own. I feel like a total fool for buying it.

I feel for you, I've done the same thing at least once or twice. Maybe you could put it up for sale on Audiogon as an "Ipod or Zune upgrade HDD" . Take a little hit on what you're willing to let it go for. It beats adding it to the pile of equipment we all seem to accumulate that's taking up space & gathering dust & it gives you money to spend on something else(that may or may not end up being at least "functional"!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back