Zero DAC/amp versus Little Dot tube amps
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ccvogel

New Head-Fier
I need a preamp/headphone amp for my main system. I'm intrigued by the incredible value and rave reviews that the Zero DAC/preamp has gotten on Head-Fi, but I'd like recommendations based on a comparison between the Zero and the Little Dot tube amps. I don't have any headphones yet [see my post on the Full-Size Headphone forum], so system recommendations at around $300 - $400 [street price] would also be welcome.

I am using a Squeezebox Duet as a source, and might interpose a NOS DAC between the Duet and the Phone Amp if the Zero doesn't get your high recommendation.

As I noted in the Headphone post, what I am looking for is:

A headphones/amp system that can make a solo guitarist/vocalist or a small jazz ensemble sound as if they are "in the room". I want to hear the transient attack and decay on the stringed instruments and the purest possible vocal reproduction.

Thanks!

NOTE: the price range is based on the purchase of a new set of phones and a new amp from eBay.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 6
If you got a Little Dot, what would your source be? That would probably be the deciding factor.. A Little Dot amp is far better than the Zero headamp, but if your source sucks it makes no difference anyway (garbage in, garbage out).

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 6
To be honest, i'd run you line out from you Squeezy to a LD amp, sit back and enjoy. The squeezy dac is easily as good as the Zero DAC, and the LD will outsmart the Zero headamp.

BT

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 6
The Zero does not have an analog input, just so you know. If you want to use it you must use it's dac also.

If you decide to use the Zero, you better get the OPA-Earth (op-amp replacement) for it's dac. It's a very worthwhile upgrade, to my ears a must even.

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, i'd run you line out from you Squeezy to a LD amp, sit back and enjoy. The squeezy dac is easily as good as the Zero DAC, and the LD will outsmart the Zero headamp.

BT

Thanks for the feedback. Your post helps me rank the options. I agree that the DAC in the Duet is quite good, so I can certainly see pairing it up with a LD amp.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back