zen xtra owners: a question
May 9, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I thought it was the other way around? The Xtras are newer and the NX is actually discontinued here in the States.

you are absolutely correct there. most importantly (for me at least) the xtra has the biggest screen of all the zens.

May 9, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I thought the iPod also showed up as an external hard drive unit as well (I phrase it that way cause I don't own one, so I don't know from personal experience).

You are right: the iPod is recognized by most OSs automatically without additional software. This can be tremendously useful: I transferred drive images and anime episodes (among other things) totalling over 20GB from my brother's laptop on the west coast to my computer here in Madison. No other reasonable way to do it, considering UW Madison caps download bandwidth (grrr ...).

My favorite non-standard use of the iPod was from an article once posted here about a car company using it as a mass storage device for transferring crash data. Something about it being very reliable and robust ....
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 18
i have some experience with the Xtra now and the firmware that comes loaded with it from the store is crap compared to the newer firmware you can download from Creative. with the default firmware the scroll-switch is a pain to use because it doesn't stop scrolling for seconds after you release it. with new firmware it is much more responsive and very nice to use. I was surprised how efficient it was (AFTER update) since you can simply hold it down to get all the way through a long list, and it speeds up the longer you hold it down. with the scroll wheel on my NJB3, I have to roll it many times to get through a long list. The switch could be bigger though! It's very small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back