Zana Deux rectifier problem -- help appreciated
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Back to my Zana after several months break and I'm getting no sound -- driver and power tubes are fine but rectifier filaments don't seem to be illuminating, despite testing strong. Haven't had any luck getting in touch with Craig so wondering if someone here might be able to help -- is there a separate fuse for the rectifiers I should be looking for? Our clueless house-sitter seems to have plugged 6SL7s into the rectifier sockets but said she only switched it on once, and briefly. 

any aid appreciated, many thanks,

o

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 5
while I am no expert or even close in tybe electronics plugging the wrong tube into a socket and firing it up could cause internal parts to fail. You may have a blown resistor. 

Sorry to hear about this I'm sure once Craig reached out he'll be able to lend a hand.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Our clueless house-sitter seems to have plugged 6SL7s into the rectifier sockets but said she only switched it on once, and briefly. 

only run briefly = "turned off immediately after it started smoking"
:facepalm:

If she put the 6sl7 in one of the rectumfrier sockets, what did she put in the other 2 octal sockets? a 6dt4 in a 6sl7 socket will mess your gear up good.

I would also say get in touch with Craig. While the amp is back with him being repaired it may be a good idea to have him change the rectumfriers to the 6d22s like on the newer versions of the amp. 

Also, run your 6SL7 on a tube tester. The tube MAY be OK, tubes can handle a lot of abuse. The tube may be destroyed, its seen a lot of abuse. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
while I am no expert or even close in tybe electronics plugging the wrong tube into a socket and firing it up could cause internal parts to fail. You may have a blown resistor. 

Sorry to hear about this I'm sure once Craig reached out he'll be able to lend a hand.

Many thanks for the quick reply -- I'll try again with Craig. Have always found him to be very responsive.

Quote:

only run briefly = "turned off immediately after it started smoking"
:facepalm:

If she put the 6sl7 in one of the rectumfrier sockets, what did she put in the other 2 octal sockets? a 6dt4 in a 6sl7 socket will mess your gear up good.

I would also say get in touch with Craig. While the amp is back with him being repaired it may be a good idea to have him change the rectumfriers to the 6d22s like on the newer versions of the amp. 

Also, run your 6SL7 on a tube tester. The tube MAY be OK, tubes can handle a lot of abuse. The tube may be destroyed, its seen a lot of abuse. 

Thanks for the suggestions, and commiserations. 

Yeah -- briefly until they came back after a long weekend.

I'll ask Craig about upgrades once I hear back. This is an older unit, and I think there have been a few updates since it was released.

thanks again and best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back