Yulong DA8II In-Depth Review
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #16 of 25
  Can I have the link of that device? I am kinda interested. 
basshead.gif

Here is the link for the USB isolator or cleaner:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Music-Hall-Elfidelity-USB-Boosters-USB-audio-interface-Hi-Fi-Power-Filter-for-PC-DAC-AMP/32397141841.html

I bought for less than $50 during last 11.11 AE sale. Hopefully high res and DSD compatible.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 25
So how is this Elfidelity USB power? Will it work for Android / iOS devices instead of powered USB hub? What I mean - if I want Android smarthone or iOS iPad tablet to work with many DACs via USB it is required to connect them through powered USB hub. Would it make any sense to use this Elfidelity instead of powered USB hub?

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #18 of 25
  So how is this Elfidelity USB power? Will it work for Android / iOS devices instead of powered USB hub? What I mean - if I want Android smarthone or iOS iPad tablet to work with many DACs via USB it is required to connect them through powered USB hub. Would it make any sense to use this Elfidelity instead of powered USB hub?

Yes, it should work fine with tablet and iPad, because it is actually passive cleaner, so no incompatibility issue so far. I tried with some devices and DACs, so far so good, high res PCM and DSD are all fine.
Yes again, it is better to use this Elfidelity instead of USB Hub. USB hub might sometime has compatibility issues with Android and iPad.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 25
So it is enough to use only this Elfidelity and I will not have “Cannot Use Device: The connected USB device requires too much power.” warning message displayed on iOS device screen?

Also, I think there is newer model already offered called USB-thruster3 with USB 3.0 support http://www.elfidelity.com/pdf/USB-thruster3.pdf
And the one you own is AXF -101 http://www.elfidelity.com/pdf/AXF-101II.pdf and it is also sold under Nobsound brand name.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 25
  So it is enough to use only this Elfidelity and I will not have “Cannot Use Device: The connected USB device requires too much power.” warning message displayed on iOS device screen?

Also, I think there is newer model already offered called USB-thruster3 with USB 3.0 support http://www.elfidelity.com/pdf/USB-thruster3.pdf
And the one you own is AXF -101 http://www.elfidelity.com/pdf/AXF-101II.pdf and it is also sold under Nobsound brand name.

I've never tried it with iOS devices. Elfidelity must be used with external power supply, so the DAC will draw power from the external power supply, and not from the iOS or Android devices. So theoretically should be ok too with iOS devices.

May 31, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 25
Awesome review! never seen such a concise review before.

I just came across the da9 amp/dac. Have you had any chance to listen to that @earfonia?

Thanks! I just saw DA9 at massdrop, TBH I don't like the Gold plated faceplate... :grin: The DA8 design to me looks way better than DA9.
No I haven't have the chance to try DA9. The 3 sound mode is quite interesting. I would like to know what parameter that they play around for the 3 sound modes. Looks like more than just the low pass digital filters. And whether the sound mode is applicable for DSD as well.

May 31, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 25
Thanks! I just saw DA9 at massdrop, TBH I don't like the Gold plated faceplate... :grin: The DA8 design to me looks way better than DA9.
No I haven't have the chance to try DA9. The 3 sound mode is quite interesting. I would like to know what parameter that they play around for the 3 sound modes. Looks like more than just the low pass digital filters. And whether the sound mode is applicable for DSD as well.

I agreed on you with the design :beyersmile: I also felt like the da8 is more to my taste in terms of design..
Yeah, I am kinda curious with the 3 mode. That hooks me up and I am not sure how it works. It also seems that it focus more on specific genre like jazz, classical and vocal heavy.

May 31, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 25
I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread on the DA9. I agree that it's looks are a step down from the last model.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #25 of 25
@earphonia: awesome review. I have owned the DA8II for 7 years and very happy with it.
For the first 6 years I used it with RCA output. Only recently I started using it as a headphone amp, but facing a problem.

When I turn it on, there is some white noise (like wind) coming in the IEM (Shure Aonic 5). With an Headphone (Shure SRH 840) there is no noise. The Yulong is connected to a wall socket for power directly (no multiplug).
  • The noise is there when the Yulong is connected to the PC using USB as well as when the Yulong is not connected to any sources.
  • Changing the volume or the source on the Yulong does not change the white noise (like wind). As soon as it turns on, these noise starts. The noise is also there when I play music, and I can hear it in quiet parts of songs. If I long press the volume button (Pure dac mode, the noise goes away)
  • If I plug the same IEM into the 3.5mm jack of my laptop the noise is NOT there.
  • If I plug the same IEM into a Headstreamer (USB powered, portable headphone amp without volume control), the noise is there but it is directly proportional to the windows volume settings. When volume is at 100%, the noise is the same as on the Yulong. But to listen comfortably, the volume is at 3%, and there the noise is very very small (almost none really). This is funny, I read that the recommended settings is to have windows sounds at 100% and reduce the volume in Foobar. If I do that: big noise.
  • When I rotate the barrel of the 3.5mm male: nothing changes. The noise is stable and no cracking.
  • The noise is the same on Left and Right sides.
I tried different cable, different earphone / headphones and different sources. Here are the results:
  • Yulong (1W), Shure Aonic 5 (36 ohm), cable 1 & 2: big noise
  • Yulong (1W), Shure Se215 (17ohm), cable 1 & 2: big noise
  • Yulong (1W), Shure SRH 840 (44 ohm) : no noise
  • Laptop, Shure Aonic 5 (36 ohm), cable 1 & 2: no noise
  • Laptop, Shure Se215 (17ohm), cable 1 & 2: no noise
  • Headstreamer, Shure Aonic 5 / 215: noise proportional to volume setting in the computer

Why is the Yulong producing maximum noise, as it the volume was at 100% even when not connected to a source and with volume set to -60db?

Thanks,
Serge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back