Yuin PK2 twice as good as PK3??
Dec 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had Yuin PK3s now for about a month, and after suffering thru 4-5 other low price earbuds (Senn MX-550 & -660, Sony MDR-828V, etc.), I am amazed at the sound quality jump of the PK3s. Soundstage, clarity, separation all are pretty good for $45 USD.

My only complaint is that the bass is a bit rolled off on these. Compared to my Senn PX-100s (which has a significant high-end rolloff), the PK3s have a very reduced bass presence, due largely to the earbud design, I'm sure.

So I'm wondering if the PK2s, at nearly twice the cost, are twice as good (probably not), AND do they have any significant bass improvement over the PK3s??

Or should I be looking at OK3s or some IEM equivalent (SoundMagic PL-30, etc) to get the bass response WITHOUT losing the high-end sparkle I want also. FWIW, my son has some Senn CX-300 that may be fakes, and they have loads of bass, but very muddy mids and poor highs, IMO.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 4
No, the PK2s are not gonna give you the bass you want, in fact, they are more mid/high focused than the PK3s. But I agree, the 3s are the champ of low-cost, hi-quality sound. I would just use the EQ on the bass, if you have a good on with your DAP. Don't buy the PL30s (I have a pair, and I think they are only worth the $19 I paid for them, since I can never get a good fit). The NuForce NE-7s deliver really good bass with sparkly mids/highs. I am about to list a pair at $10 off the MSRP, plus a couple pair of Comply foamies tossed in for good measure. Check the FS forum in the next 30 minutes, but read about the NuForce first. I just have no need for them, but bought them anyway.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the heads up on the Nuforce phones. I've read a few reviews about them, but to be honest have not really looked at too many priced above $30-50. I know I'm probably getting what I pay for!

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Uh, decided not to sell my NuForce, rather, I am giving them to my nephew (and keeping the PK3s I bought for him to myself, since he has an iPhone too). But they do sound pretty nice, only a couple of dissenters so far. And they have the bass you crave, without losing out on the sparklies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back