Yuin PK1 repair
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iAudiophileD2

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been a long time viewer at HF, and have gained a lot of knowledge in the process, so firstly a thanks to all of you members. OK, my Yuin PK1's just suddenly stopped working, and only either side works when the wire is moved into an awkward positon. I think I've got the broken headphone jack problem. Unable to send it back for warranty due to not being able to provide the receipt (deleted email account). So I think I'll have to try and repair it myself, but I've got a few questions;
If I'm going to recable it, would I need to get wire that has the correct impedance of the original wire? Seeing as the PK1s are 160Ohms.
What sort of cable would I need to buy, or should any normal cheap standard cable from an old earphone do? As I see many custom cables fit for headphone usage but not for earphone/bud.
Is it better to repair the cable by replacing the entire cable (resoldering on the drivers) or just cut away the broken part (the jack)?
Is there anything that I should know/you could suggest before I go through with it?

Thanks very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for your replies. I remember when I got the earphones, I checked the resistance of the plug with a multimeter and it did read to be 160Ohms, would I need to find a plug that also has this impedance? As I think without resistance matching, the quality of the sound will change.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for your replies. I remember when I got the earphones, I checked the resistance of the plug with a multimeter and it did read to be 160Ohms, would I need to find a plug that also has this impedance? As I think without resistance matching, the quality of the sound will change.

Any headphone plug will be fine.
If you don't have the tools or don't feel comfortable doing the repair I'll happily do it for you. You'd have to post the phones to me of course.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any headphone plug will be fine.
If you don't have the tools or don't feel comfortable doing the repair I'll happily do it for you. You'd have to post the phones to me of course.

Again thanks for your replies, and thank you for your kind offer. I think I'm able to do it myself. I'm assuming that its only a single strand of copper wire pair cable, other than that thanks all.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 14
the cable does not have impedance.
all yuin's product seems to have cable problem.....

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable does not have impedance.
all yuin's product seems to have cable problem.....

I have had two Yuin's a PK1 and OK1. I have not had a cable problem with either.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 14
I have two PK1. I love it.

First one I bought it from a member here used.
After few months usage, it start to have cable problem and one side driver start to have distortion sound. There is no warranty on it, I broken it when I try to open it up. But I found the distortion driver has indentation on it.

So I bought another one from head direct.
After few months usage, it is the same problem. cable start to crack on plug and on the earphone. Also one side of driver start to have distortion sound.

I send to head direct for replacement.
(Thanks to head direct, amazing service)
I got the new replacement, after few months usage, the cable start to crack on plug side now..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had two Yuin's a PK1 and OK1. I have not had a cable problem with either.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two PK1. I love it.

First one I bought it from a member here used.
After few months usage, it start to have cable problem and one side driver start to have distortion sound. There is no warranty on it, I broken it when I try to open it up. But I found the distortion driver has indentation on it.

So I bought another one from head direct.
After few months usage, it is the same problem. cable start to crack on plug and on the earphone. Also one side of driver start to have distortion sound.

I send to head direct for replacement.
(Thanks to head direct, amazing service)
I got the new replacement, after few months usage, the cable start to crack on plug side now..........

Head-direct sent you a replacement for free?
what exactly did you do to get the replacement for the pk1???

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm thinking of re-terminating my Yuin PK1s as I find the stock cable much too long for my particular use. I'll probably cut about 2 feet off and re-terminate the plug. Did you have any success re-terminating? I was thinking of the viablue 3.5mm plug but have a bit of concern that cable from the PK1s may be too thin for that plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back