Your usage scenario for a DAP
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hanesu

1000+ Head-Fier
In recent times, DAPs seem to get bigger and bigger with every year and less portable.

So I was really wondering how do people actually use them?

To explain the background of my question a little:
Me, personally, ever since, I use portable audio devices 1. on the train, 2. while walking outside, 3. working in front of a computer or 4. just relaxing on my sofa.

And to be honest, even though I used to own many DAPs before, I don`t find a DAP to be the best solution for all except of the last usage scenarios anymore!
Recently, I prefer to use a flexible small DAC like the Qudelix 5k or Shanling UP5 on the go, because it is so much smaller and more portable that I can carry it arround even without a bagpack, sound quality in BT is really good enough on the train (where I have background noises anyway)....and for critical listening in best quality on my sofa or while working, I can easily connect it via wire to my computer or iPad. Or use another bigger DAC that sits on my desk anyway. This also gives me the advantage of a better and bigger screen to browse my music.
Compared to this solution, especially in terms of usability, the DAP would be heavier and less convenient to carry around, I always need to take it out of my pocket when switching songs etc. on the train, the screen size and OS is worse than my other devices etc....

But that is just me.....so, again, I was wondering:

What is YOUR usage scenario for a DAP and why is a DAP the best solution IN YOUR CASE? :)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a Sony NW-A45 which is primarily used during gym sessions & if I am travelling somewhere, trains, buses & flights.
Unfortunately, more & more of the music I listen to, is only available with streaming through Mixcloud, Soundcloud & Spotify, so the use for my DAP is not 100% of the time.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 4
I use a DAP whenever I head outside. SP1000M.

First problem will be me wanting to avoid dongles in general. I don't like having an extra dongle sticking out of my phone, I always feel these being a little awkward in terms of balance.

The second problem is related to power drain. Listening to music for a long time on the dongle will drain quite a bit of battery life.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 4
In all honesty, I use it mainly as a transport for the Mojo. Either HiBy R3 or TempoTec V1 (an actual transport with a 2nd mSD slot and no analogue section for under $100). Both can be controlled by phone via HiByLink. When out and about, I usually use BT (Qudelix 5K has PEQ). The DAPs for me, are mainly for saving phone battery life and bigger library - even though I control it almost entirely from the phone (bigger screen n all that)

I have a strange aversion to Android DAPs, so I avoid them (I really don't like the idea of using a really outdated version of Android. Security, maybe? Not sure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back