Your type of sound?
May 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
I'm sitting here amazed at how the sound from my setup is warm yet completely transparent, detailed and open. I was wondering what type of sound are you guys searching for? Also, what I mean by "warm sound" is to have a speaker like presentation of the music. The bass is slightly tilted forward along with the lower midrange and the treble is slightly taking a seat in the back to give an impression of smooth, organic sound.

May 25, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 11
Are you trying to stuff the Sound Science full of conversational threads so the HM-801 discussion gets buried? 
biggrin.gif

It used to be bright and energetic. I got a little taste of the warm/smooth and neutral sounds with the HF2, and will need to experiment more to find what I really like. Probably two headphones: one Grado and one warmish neutral headphone like T1, O2, or from what I gather LCD-2.

May 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 11
I love a few sound signatures...depends on the mood.   sometimes i'm in a mood for bright and aggressive so i grab my RS1. when in a mood for heavy bass and punchy i have the D5000 and the M50.  

May 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 11
Usually I like the sound warm and smooth. Detailed is nice if I'm doing some more critical listening. I think it is very difficult to reach a neutral and accurate sound especially on portable players, so it is best to let your ears decide what sounds the best instead of your eyes and brain.
But different genres of music give different overall sound. Meshuggah will certainly produce a different soundscape than Norah Jones will. To tone down the extremely technical metal of Meshuggah I might prefer a more warm and smooth sound, while Norah Jones' music being more relaxed (of course!) might benefit from a bit more energetic and/or detailed setting (be it EQ'd or caused by different headphones).

May 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Warm and smooth for me, ESW9s get most headtime, bright and energetic from time to time, with the MS-Pros, haven't heard a neutral headphone yet though.

May 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Are you trying to stuff the Sound Science full of conversational threads so the HM-801 discussion gets buried? 
biggrin.gif

It used to be bright and energetic. I got a little taste of the warm/smooth and neutral sounds with the HF2, and will need to experiment more to find what I really like. Probably two headphones: one Grado and one warmish neutral headphone like T1, O2, or from what I gather LCD-2.

I was wondering why he was starting so many threads that had nothing to do with science.

But that aside, Head Injury, you pretty much named off the three headphones I wanted to try the most.  Since I knew the woman wouldn't forgive me for getting a T1 and an O2, I preordered the T50p to try it out, and going to pick up the Omega2 when I'm in Japan, but having read so much about the LCD-2 (especially in comparison to the O2) I'm dying to try it out.  I thought I prefer cold and flat, but I've been liking a slightly warmer, but still neutral sound.  Though I still like a bit of brightness and sparkle.

May 25, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Guys, I'm not starting threads to bury the HM-801 RMAA thread. I thought these conversational topics belonged in this section of the forum. If not, mods, feel free to put them in the correct area. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Nütral and accurate as in sound you'd get from flat monitors. If a song is mixed and mastered to sound warm it's warm, if not not.

May 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 11
My phones being UM3X and K702, I like an accurate, neutral sound. Now that changes when listening to electronic or rap/pop when I switch to my desktop speakers and pump the bass and treble up :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 11

I trust my artists, I want the music undistorted.

"Distortion is the alteration of the original shape (or other characteristic) of an object, image, sound, waveform or other form of information or representation. Distortion is usually unwanted, and often many methods are employed to minimize it in practice."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back