Your recommendations for Chamber Music
Jul 3, 2007 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
Folks,

I somehow got passionate with Classical music (esp. symphonic music) two years back. Since then I have been listening to lot of music and also building up my CD collections. Now I have around 100 CDs mostly symphonies, concertos and overtures.

I'm slowly getting into chamber music (quartets, trios etc). I'm starting to appreciate them nowadays. I already have Bach's Goldberg variations. But I don't have good knowledge about the other best chamber music repertoires. Can you guys suggest some fine pieces?

Thanks

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Wow, there's a big field. Sticking with Bach, music doesn't get much better than the Partitas and Suites for solo violin (Grumiaux's version for preference); you already know the Chaconne in D minor, even if you don't know you know it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Beethoven's quartets are also magnificent - the early ones are relatively straightforward, while the later ones are incredible, knotty and as deep as the ocean. The Beethoven and Schubert piano sonatas are essential listening - I'd start with the Beethoven sonatas that have names.

For something more accessible, the first chamber music I really loved was Dvorak's: the American quartet, Op 96, and Quintet Op. 97. And into the 20th century, Shostakovich's 15 quartets are an amazing achievement, and my own personal favourites.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Another vote for Beethoven's, as well as Shosty's (8 is my personal favorite at the moment), but I'm going to add Bartok's quartets to that list. Sorry I can't be more specific, chamber music isn't my forte by any means (dumb pun).

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Oh, definitely check out some Brahms string quartets--I think they're fantastic.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 13
The Mozart Quintets (especially the string quintet K174 and the horn quintet K407) are always my first recommendation to newcommers -- they are fresh, graceful, and endlessly melodic.

Brahms writes great chamber works: his three string quintets are all good, if you don't mind their lengths. You'll also need his Clarinet quintet.

As for music for wind instruments, again Mozart (Gran Partita K361), as well as the work entitled Mládi (Youth) by Leos Jánacek.

You have a lot to pick from in the 20th century: Start with Ravel's Piano Trio and his String Quartet, as well as the series of late works by Debussy. Shostakovich's Piano Trio #2, and his String Quartets (especially #7, #8, #9). You can save Bartok's 6 String Quartets til later.

My passion, however, are the Brits: Vaughan Williams's String Quartets, as recorded by the Maggini Quartet, are amazing in every way. The Piano Trio of Frank Bridge is to me way surpasses Ravel's, but a recording of this work can be hard to track down.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 13
So far, the following titles have been suggested

Bach - Partitas, Chaconne in D Minor (by Grumiaux)
Brahms - Piana quartet
Beethoven -Piano sonatas (Richard Goode?), string quartets (Tacaks?)
Schubert - Piano sonatas (any recommendations for label?)
Shastakovich - 15 string quartets (any recommendations for label?)
Dvorak -American Quartet, Quintet Op.97

I already have the suggested Mozart's pieces.

Thanks for your suggestion my friends.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Schubert - Piano sonatas (any recommendations for label?)
- recommend Radu Lupu
Shastakovich - 15 string quartets (any recommendations for label?)
- recommend Borodin Quartet
Dvorak -American Quartet, Quintet Op.97
- recommend Panocha Quartet

- augustwest

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 13
  1. Brahms - Piano quartet: my suggestion is Beau Arts Trio + Co., some people may find them too polite though.
  2. Beethoven -Piano sonatas (Richard Goode?) -- haven't heard of Goode though his cycle has a very good reputation. I'd go for Kempff's stereo cycle.
  3. Beethoven - string quartets (Tacaks?) -- Good choice for full price; for budget, choose between the polar opposites of Alban Berg Quartett (very incisive) and Quartetto Italiano (very lyrical).
  4. Schubert - Piano sonatas (any recommendations for label?) -- Alfred Brendel's is very beautifully played and medidative.
  5. Shastakovich - 15 string quartets (any recommendations for label?) -- The old version by Borodin Quartet (Melodyia) if you can find it (legendary, but rare and expensive), and by any means get the more recent recording under Virgin Records. For an affordable complete cycle, I recommend Fitzwilliam's Quartet.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Good list so far. For ultra beautiful I would add Schubert's Piano Trio #2 (Beaux Arts Trio performing). For more bite I would recommend Bartok's Violin Sonata #1 (Andsnes and Tetzlaff performing). For downright strange I would recommend Schnittke's String Quartet #2 (Kronos Quartet performing).

And I 2nd the recs for the Beethoven String Quartets (Emerson Quartet is my rec), and Bartok (Emersons again), and Shostakovich (Borodin Quartet).

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 13
You guys are amazing. Helping me with exactly what I want.

I bought Emerson's Beethoven String Quartets yesterday. Real good stuff man. I've ordered Beethoven piano sonatas by Kempff today. Aiming for Borodin's Shostakovich next month. Bartok and Schubert are in waiting list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back