Your perfect Mahler?
Dec 1, 2005 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Not just your favorite work of Mahler's, but the one recording that combines great Mahler with great conducting and great performing and great recorded sound.

When I listen to this work on my headphone system, lying on my recliner and closing my eyes, sinking into a semi-trance state, I immerse myself into the totally transparent sounds - not that the orchestra and chorus comes into my living room (doesn't happen with a headphone) but that I find myself in the symphony hall with nothing between the perfomance and myself. Can't do this with just any recording.

Not only is the sound quality great, Haitink conducts the Berliner Philharmoniker to perfection - revealing the many layers of subtle and delicate beauty, as well as moments of overwhelming majesty, of Mahler's symphony number 2.

I showed you mine - you show me yours.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 15
Neat thread idea.

I have to say that Gilbert Kaplan's 2003 recording of the 2nd is my perfect Mahler. His conducting, the Wiener Philharmoniker's playing, and the production values are absolutely transparent. The intent and mind of Mahler show through whatever is playing it.

The man was a towering genius. No doubt about it.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Neat thread idea.

I have to say that Gilbert Kaplan's 2003 recording of the 2nd is my perfect Mahler. His conducting, the Wiener Philharmoniker's playing, and the production values are absolutely transparent. The intent and mind of Mahler show through whatever is playing it.

The man was a towering genius. No doubt about it.

I second the VPO Kaplan (I have the SACD version). Perhaps there are conductors with more personality, but this is precisely what Mahler wrote, and the sound is so freakin' awesome that this is my disc of choice for Mahler immersion. Never fails to elicit tears.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Tough choices, to be sure. But the one I turn to again and again for a riveting emotional experience, fine sound (headphones or speakers):

Symphony No. 6, Barbirolli, New Philharmonia on EMI.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 15
Not what one expects: D. Fischer-Dieskau and L. Bernstein doing orchestral songs in piano reduction. Incredibly effective! This is a Columbia vinyl.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 15
My perfect Mahler experiences have been at concerts. I have several recordings that I love and have heard several others that have moved me.. on specific occasions.... by that meaning.. there are times when all the stars align and a session listening to a recorded version does completely blow me away. But sometimes, if I'm not in the mood or the circumstances aren't right, I can be totally unmoved.

So.. my favorite live Mahlers:

Mahler 10th - Wigglesworth/Cleveland Orchestra
Maher 9th - Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orchestra
Mahler 5th - Eschenbach/Cleveland Orchestra

And I have to give a nod to The Mansfield Symphony Orchestra and their conductor (at the time) Jeff Holland Cook who had the stones to pull together not only the Mahler 2nd, but the Mahler 6th as well, and did a damn fine job of it, at least to a ears of a couple of very young Mahler fans.

Best recordings (given the right time/place/mood):

Das Lied - Klemperer (?) (one night under the stars, it was like an angel was singing)
Mahler 9th - Karajan/Berlin (live recording)
Mahler 2nd - Slatkin/St. Louis (for many years this was my ref. recording, though I don't really think it's as perfect as it used to be)
Mahler 3rd - Lenny/NYP (CBS)
Mahler 6th - Sinopoli (some truly dark and weird times were had with this recording)

Though I have to admit, I can't really say for sure that I've heard a Mahler recording that's 100% on the money. It's difficult to keep perfection going for 50, 60, 70 even 90 minutes. But the amazing, magical small doses make the somewhat less-than-perfect parts worth it.

-jar

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 15
I have so many favorite Mahler recordings that it's like choosing between my children! I guess my favorite is the one that I have yet to acquire.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Still after all these years Slatkin/St. Louis Mahler 2nd Telarc (New SACD Version)

Honorable mention: MTT/San Francisco Mahler No 3 SACD

2nd Honorable mention: Zander/Philharmonia Orchestra Songs of a Wayfarer

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 15
the high point of my (limited) Mahler experience is Christa Ludwig singing Kindertotenlieder and Ruckert-Lieder in the classic '75 Karajan/BPO recording which also contains the 6th as filler
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
For me it is Zubin Mehta's 1975 Mahler 2nd - I also have the recent Simon Rattle but just found it not to my taste at all, there is also a pretty lengthy thread already here....

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=mahler

There's another one I have to buy!

I did see the other thread but wanted to focus on the single favorite of everyone to use in narrowing down my wishlist.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 15
For me: Das Lied von der Erde - Klemperer, Ludwig, Wunderlich
Although another one, is the third which I was listening the night my first child was born.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 15
Boulez gets 2 of them with his Lied von der Erde and 6th Symphony. Both masterly in command of detail, without losing any emotional impact which can happen at times with Boulez.

Incidentally I heard Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic performing the 6th a couple of months ago and it was not enjoyable - vulgarly played up, aggressive and tiring to listen to. A pity as this is my favorite of the Mahler symphonies and I had not managed to hear it live before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back