Your Observations Regarding "New Music"
Apr 6, 2007 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ampl1tude

100+ Head-Fier
This is not a rant or a judgemental thread, so please no flaming.

I'd just like to hear everyone's opinion regarding the new "Screamo/Emo(?)/Dark Metal/Hip-Hop/Rap/R'n'B" musicians.

I'm not biased but i'd like to say most screamo/Emo(?) bands I hear are very... basic, but don't get me wrong, there are some good ones out there. I heard alot of very well made lyrics in some songs.

What is your opinion?

Please everyone keep an opened mind, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let the Debate/Discussion Begin,

From your neighborhood Audiologist,

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Input your opinions none-the-less, doesn't have to be irrelevant.

Alexisonfire/Hawkthone Heights(?)/etc Is what I classify as screamo

I don't know how to really classify anything as emo, because I do not fully understand the whole meaning of the genre.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 10
I just wish that some of today's music didn't have to use such unfortunate language.

The grandkids like to get on sites like "yahoo music" but it seems that more often than not one of the older kids is complaining that one of the younger ones is listening to "dirty music". They may not always understand the concept behind the musics' message, but they certainly know what the words are.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not biased but i'd like to say most screamo/Emo(?) bands I hear are very... basic, but don't get me wrong, there are some good ones out there. I heard alot of very well made lyrics in some songs.

Well, first define "basic" for me. What do you mean by that? And what's so bad about it?

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 10
well, as I guessed, I don't really know any of the bands mentioned... but here it goes anyways:

I love complex and intelligent music, whether it is loud and screamy (like The Mars Volta, Tool, etc.) or Emo (Editors, Interpol, Block Party, etc.) or bordering to classical compositions / techniques (GY!BE, Mogwai, Mono, EITS, and many many more).

But as soon as I suspect complexity and layeredness being sacrificed for easy financial earnings, 'success without earning it' or for being angry and complex for it being the FOT I'm gone... If I hear Papa roach, my chemical romance, 3 doors down etc I'm switching channels ... just my personal taste of course... but in the words of the late and great Bill Hicks: "perhaps I'm romanticizing all of this, but does anyone remember when music had guts, had balls? Anyone remember Jimi Hendrix? Any doubt about that guy having balls? A dick like an anaconda..." etc etc etc. I've shown enough of my age...

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, first define "basic" for me. What do you mean by that? And what's so bad about it?

My apologies, Basic is not the right term I wanted to use.

I'm leaning towards "the usual sound", most of the music I hear from my son sounds, in respect, the same.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, it just gets "old" after awhile.

I agree that there are both legends and one hit wonders in every genre, but it seems to me that there are more one hit wonders in the above genre's.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Televator. I am open to any genre of music, if its complex.

But everyone has different taste, just like how people like contemporary while other's find it too simplistic.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 10
The number of albums released every year grows exponentially. Given that probably only 20% of them will have any staying power, it means that the market is flooded with garbage to a greater extent every year.

Shelf space, on the other hand, doesn't increase nearly as fast as the number of albums. Nor does radio bandwidth, or peoples' budgets for music purchase. It should be no surprise that the one-hit-wonder crap ends up dominating people's musical choices to a larger degree every year.

Who cares what anyone else listens to, though? The number of good albums released every year is increasing just as rapidly as the number of bad ones.

- Warren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back