Your hastiest album review:
Apr 22, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that hasty enough for you?

That was hasty, but did you initially hate the album?
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was hasty, but did you initially hate the album?
wink.gif

yes, at first i only liked 2 songs. then one of the songs came on shuffle (airport song) and i was like "holy **** this is great" so i listened to it all the way through, most of the songs are in my top 25 most played now.

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 23
Most of my 'hasty impressions' were formed early in (pre-20's). My initial impression tends to stick much stronger these days.

Blue Bell Knoll - Cocteau Twins. Lets just say I'd never heard anything like it before. I mean - the lyrics were unintelligable and the sound was plain weird. Love it lots now.

Solitude Standing - Suzanne Vega. Suzanne singing Tom's Diner acapella didn't endear me at all on first listen. The rest of the album was okay ;p Repeated listens of course, made me appreciate what she was trying to convey.

Last Exit - Junior Boys. Waaaayyy too retro on first listen. Had I stepped back into 80's? The only recent purchase I've actually come to like a lot after a number of repeated listens.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the reverse?

I loved "Stadium Arcadium" when I first bought it, but fell out of love in a matter of days. Now I can hardly stand it.

Same thing happenned last summer with the kaiser chiefs. Some music doesn't age well.

Wow. That's EXACTLY what happened with me. (To Stadium Arcadium too...)

I think for me:
Soundgarden - Superunknown
I only really liked one or two tracks at the beginning, and thought the rest was just grungy crap, but then a year or two later (I was ~12 the first time) I listened to it again, and realized that it's one of the best albums I have.

I was a little skeptical of Tool's Aenima at first, but I grew to like it by the end of my second or third listen. Great stuff. (I need to buy more.)

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 23
Arcade Fire - Funeral
I downloaded it based on recommendations from friends and it didn't do anything for me, so I deleted it. Then months later something hit me and I was like, "Whoa, I really need to hear that album again." I downloaded it again and loved it.

The Decemberists
A friend sent me some before I had even heard of them. At first I thought it was lame and couldn't get past the Neutral Milk Hotel similarities. When I tried it again after my friend's further prodding, I pretty quickly developed an appreciation for their creative and imaginative songwriting.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 23
"Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band

I first heard this album when I was pretty young (14 or 15 years old) and I didn't understand it at all. It was probably the most experimental album I had ever heard at that time. A few years later I ended up seeing The Magic Band at All Tomorrow's Parties 2003 in Long Beach and I really enjoyed their performance (by this time my taste in music had expanded much further than before), but I didn't make the connection between them and the album until I did some extra research. I then revisited the album and it became one of my favorites of all time.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 23
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

I bought this without listening to Funeral and ended up liking it very much. Much more than Funeral (which I thought was more random and haphazard)

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams

Bought them second hand. I couldn't understand what's the big deal about Siamese Dreams initially, but soon I like every single track on the album (almost).

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #23 of 23
Only one: Queensryche's Promised Land. I got it just before Bridge plunged off the charts, and it collected dust for years. The in cleaning my closet, I rediscovered it...and now have every one of their albums with DeGarmo, and made it a point to give an album at least five complete listens over a week or more to decide.

Without having that policy, I'd have missed out completely with Mr. Bungle s/t (I could hardly listen all the way through the first time), AIC's SAP, PF's Division Bell, would have thrown Virgin Black right out in the trash, and likely others I can't recall right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back