Your gear acquisition philosophy?
Jan 24, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #16 of 22
I watch the latest "Flavor of the Month" and wait until the next flavor kicks in to buy last month's flavor really cheap.

Jan 24, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 22
I would save money till you can make a significant jump in headphone gear. If this means saving for 1-2 years, so be it.

1) You will learn how to control your impulses
2) You won't be tempted to buy the flavor of the month
3) You will make your money multiply by investing it
4) You will save money by avoiding resale of items
5) You will end up with an overall better system

Also, if you observe many "flavors of the month," you can figure out which ones catch and which ones don't. Those flavors that last for more than say, 3 months are definitely worth looking into. The XP-7 flavor is a good example. While the XP-7 isn't really discussed that much any more, I haven't seen very many being sold. So, people are quite happy with what they have. The CD3000 flavor is an example of an ephemeral flavor. I ended up selling mine at quite a loss...

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #18 of 22
Read, read and read some more. And don't discount the negative reviews, just because you're hot on some new toy. Frankly, if something can't retain it's "Great" status for more than two or three years, why bother? Some gear has retained it legendary status for years and years. Two or three months of praise? Pahhh!

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 22
"Your gear acquisition philosophy?"

Grab as much as you can - and never let go!
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Well, ok - for real, I try to stick to proper mid-fi level for myself, and I'm especially fond of underrated products with great performance/price (like the Beyerdynamic DT531, for example...).

Jan 24, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I don't really have a buying philosophy. I tend to lean more towards compulsive obsessive. I get an idea in my head and run with it.

This is not only an excellent system for the initial buying of equipment, but its handmaiden, obssessive/compulsive fixation upon a real or imagined "defect" in your system until replaced, also works very well on upgrades.
biggrin.gif

Pauly: Sounds like you got your Arcam FMJ and are happy with it. Good deal! I know the feeling!
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I watch the latest "Flavor of the Month" and wait until the next flavor kicks in to buy last month's flavor really cheap.

Tube, I've noticed that a good review of a product from you usually triggers a "flavor of the month" for that product here
very_evil_smiley.gif

Personally my gear acquisition philosophy is that I usually wont bite on a product until you give it a heads-up.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 22
Buy what you need and not what you want. Have ready cash for bargain deals.

Start with a really good source. Then add slowly. Your source will be obsolete in two years (if it is a DVD type player). Since you are starting out, try to keep it under $1000. My finances force me to keep to the $200 range.

You live in the Bronx. The last thing you need are hugh speakers. It lets all the thieves know where to go to rob you. Spend that money on good locks and window gates.

As for speakers - you can probably make your own speakers for less than what you could buy a comparable setup. I prefer to use 2" MDF partcle board (kitchen counter top fabrication factory) over .75" MDF (medium density fiberboard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back