Your best technique for soldering browndogs?
Nov 19, 2005 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
I almost went insane recently trying to solder a SOIC op amp to a browndog adapter; merely lining up the leads proved a major task. Then, I thought of consulting the experts.

What is your preferred technique for soldering browndogs? Please also mention the equipment you use (solder, type of iron, etc.).

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 6
scotch_tape2a.jpg

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 6
funny that I just soldered 4 SOICs on BD adapter and another 3 on PCB, all are pretty good. here is what I do:
1. press and fix the adapter on a piece of flat foam, ie, the shipp package foam of the adapter.
2. use a flux pen, apply enough flux on both sides, 4 pads each side.
3. use a forcep to align the SOIC onto the pad for all 8 leads. don't have to be perfect for now.
4. add enough solder on the iron
5. use forcep to fix the SOIC and align the leads perfectly. use a little force pressing downward, make sure nothing is moving.
6. use the tip of iron with solder on it, dip on the seam between lead and pad, just enough solder will be soaked into the seam, a perfect joint!

Nov 20, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Hold the adapter down somewhere, I stick mine in a solderless breadboard to hold it
Pre-tin one corner pad with some solder
Pick up chip with tweezers
Reheat soldered pad and place part on the board at the same time watching to get the part the right distance along the length of the pad so that it lines up on the other side
Maneuver the part once it’s tacked in one corner to have it sit square and then tack the other corner
Then just solder each pin along from there with as little solder as possible, also try flow a little more on the 2 corners that were tacked down to have the solder come up shiny like the other pins
If you got flux paste (which you should all have) then coating the pins after they are soldered and then using the long edge of your iron to heat all pins along one side with the flux on there it will draw all excess solder off the pins onto your iron and this cleans it up very well leaving you with spot on perfect looking joints and will also remove any solder bridges very easily as well, better than solder braid or sucker ever will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back