You thoughts on using Jerwelery silver wire for interconnects?
May 3, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 8
depends on what the wire is made of. btw Ed 4n wire is 99.99% not 99.9%
tongue.gif

May 3, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey,

How crazy a review you want? In essence, the change is quite subtle. I was told the thing make sound "lighter." (whatever that means ... )

It's been done a lot with numerous insulation materials. Some used Lacquerer with good results ... and I think it's the easiest way. Many used teflon tubes, but don't forget to plug the ends if oxidation is what you want to avoid.

Keep in mind that current travels on the SURFACE of metals. It may be fun to fiddle with crosssection. ie flatten etc.

I am a fool with a quarter mile of COPPER teflon insulated cables. So I am stuck with COPPER. I'll probably never finish it in my life-time.
icon10.gif

T

May 3, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
depends on what the wire is made of. btw Ed 4n wire is 99.99% not 99.9%
tongue.gif

Oh yeah.

Well, ask for Four Nines anyways. It's very rare a jewelry metal supplier will have it. And not try to rape you with foundry or lot fees.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

May 3, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 8
nah found some high purity silver 99.999 or something like that.
my fun will start soon if i get the cable going, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

thanks for the advice

May 3, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 8
I find all this rather silly... the miniscule reduction of electrical resistance with the high purity silver wires is completely drowned out by the resistances within the source and the amp (i.e., the output impedance of the source, and the volume pot and other series resistances in the amp circuit), which are probably many orders of magnitude higher than that of the interconnect (unless your interconnect is miles long).

The things that one should be more concerned about in interconnects, is not how many 9's purity (be it silver or OFC or whatever) the conductor is made of. It's proper shielding from interference and the capacitance-per-foot characteristic of the cable. These two are mostly conflicting requirements, because shielded cables tend to have higher capacitance, so it pays to use as short an interconnect as possible. Use good quality plugs and connectors for solid, tarnish-free contact, but there is really no point in obsessing about the conductor material.

May 3, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
nah found some high purity silver 99.999 or something like that.
my fun will start soon if i get the cable going, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

thanks for the advice

I had often wondered about jewlery wire.

Where did you get your wire from, RnB180?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back