YOU MUST LISTEN TO THIS! (grado holo mic content)
Sep 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramseurrecords /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I like this mic is I can just find a spot that sounds good and press record.[/email]

Thanks,
Dolphus Ramseur, Ramseur Records

My understanding is that the Blue Note recordings of the 50s and early 60s were made in a very similar way; just a single-point stereo mic, and everybody in the same room playing at the same time. The CD transfers of thoise sessions sound amazing; I've got a couple of the Jimmy Smith albums, and the sense of space and presence is fantastic.

There is a lot to be said for simplicity. Of course this only works with actual musicians, which means that most of today's "artists" couldn't possibly work this way.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding is that the Blue Note recordings of the 50s and early 60s were made in a very similar way; just a single-point stereo mic, and everybody in the same room playing at the same time. The CD transfers of thoise sessions sound amazing; I've got a couple of the Jimmy Smith albums, and the sense of space and presence is fantastic.

There is a lot to be said for simplicity. Of course this only works with actual musicians, which means that most of today's "artists" couldn't possibly work this way.

Many monophonic recordings of the 50's and 60's were made with an altec omnidirectional mic, like the one below, with everybody playing in the same room at the same time. That's why that music sounds so good.

altec.jpg

These same mics are still used today - mostly to record drums.

EDIT: IIRC, I think the Grado Holophonic Mic is around $5k.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many monophonic recordings of the 50's and 60's were made with an altec omnidirectional mic, like the one below, with everybody playing in the same room at the same time. That's why that music sounds so good.

altec.jpg

These same mics are still used today - mostly to record drums.

EDIT: IIRC, I think the Grado Holophonic Mic is around $5k.

Wow, I've never seen that before. Looks like a pepper mill!

Based on the examples in this thread, I'd say the Grado is well worth the $5k. But that puts it well beyond the reach of amateur tapers like me; the most I've ever spent on a mic is around $300 for an AT822 (which I worship as a god, BTW.)

It would be great if Grado came out with a more modest version, for around a grand; that would put it on the radar of the guys who follow jam bands around and other amateur tapers. I bet they could do some serious business at that price point. Not likely, I realize, but I can dream.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be great if Grado came out with a more modest version, for around a grand; that would put it on the radar of the guys who follow jam bands around and other amateur tapers. I bet they could do some serious business at that price point. Not likely, I realize, but I can dream.

Just make one.
biggrin.gif

Do some research and make one...seriously.

You'd be surprised how cheap to build and how well mics like these work. The acoustic environment and mic placement are critical though.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #35 of 42
If only I could...

Seriously...if I were gonna spend my parents's money on an education again, I'd major in EE. Too late.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 42
Oct 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #40 of 42
They need haircuts and shaves.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #42 of 42
This type of microphone was invented by Gunter Theil back the late 80s. Neumann made the first commercially available one the KM100 (now discontinued) Scheops has made such a mike since the 90s called the KFM6. It retails for about $8k. Look at the latest Grado and you will see that it is copy of these mikes. Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back