You have got to be kidding me. HELP!
May 12, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #16 of 23
I am not a lawyer so do not consider this as legal advice.

I would consult with your insurance company. While in some states, the car owner can be the liable party it's the case in all states. In either case, when you filed the accident with your insurance company, they also assume liability if you live in such a state. And you can be sure that the insurance company will do everything it can to get out of paying for a frivolous personal injury law suit. I wouldn't hire a lawyer unless your insurance company leaves you high and dry. Their lawyers will be way better than any lawyer that you will likely want to pay for.

In the event that you didn't file (d'oh) or your insurance company bows out of its legal obligations, I would most definitely hire a lawyer and sick them on both the lady and your insurance company.

Either way, most personal injury suits are filed only to get a peice of the insurance company. Unless you have big bank accounts, most states have protection against your actual assets. So suing individuals is usually useless. Suing insurance companies by proxy of suing an individual is usually the only way to get awarded cash.

That said, I hope the lady and her lawyer get a dose of their own medicine. People who practice law like this make me sick. Not all lawyers are bad (hell Jude is a lawyer isn't he?
biggrin.gif
) , but there are enough bad ones to make the jokes funny hehe.

May 12, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 23
It's not really the lawyer at fault here. More the law which gives that lady the right to sue him because the car repair guy ran her over. I understand that if someone drives you car and has an accident its your fault, but in the case where you lend your car to a repairshop and the guy, without your own accord, drives your car around, it should be his problem, not yours.

May 12, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
It's not really the lawyer at fault here. More the law which gives that lady the right to sue him because the car repair guy ran her over. I understand that if someone drives you car and has an accident its your fault, but in the case where you lend your car to a repairshop and the guy, without your own accord, drives your car around, it should be his problem, not yours.

Eh, just because the law allows for an interpertation lose enough to file an unethical law suit for monetary profit doesn't mean the lawyer isn't at fault. Applying ethics is just as important as applying law. Part of why our legal system is so open to interpertation is so that we can enjoy protection and freedom at the same time. This all goes out the window when ethics are flushed down the toliet.

May 12, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
Eh, just because the law allows for an interpertation lose enough to file an unethical law suit for monetary profit doesn't mean the lawyer isn't at fault. Applying ethics is just as important as applying law. Part of why our legal system is so open to interpertation is so that we can enjoy protection and freedom at the same time. This all goes out the window when ethics are flushed down the toliet.

How do you know this is an unethical lawsuit? I haven't seen any description of her injuries in this thread.

MJ

May 12, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 23
yah well the insurance company isnt too convinced of her injuries either ... due to the time she took to file this and some other reasons... also they said often people research and see if you own a home (becuase that apparently means you have money) then try to come after you... good times... well we shall see what the family lawyer has to say... good thing for me i guess my brother-in-law and this brother and wife are all lawyers (and they all know how much I dislike them too
icon10.gif
well their jobs anyway.

May 13, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 23
You are being sued.

Either way, it sucks ass, and you need to consult and attorney and start filing your own law suits.

And as mentioned before, the Car Shop is target #1.

They should've had liability insurance to begin with.
You can bet that worker filed for workman's comp.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

May 13, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
yah well the insurance company isnt too convinced of her injuries either ... due to the time she took to file this and some other reasons... also they said often people research and see if you own a home (becuase that apparently means you have money) then try to come after you... good times... well we shall see what the family lawyer has to say... good thing for me i guess my brother-in-law and this brother and wife are all lawyers (and they all know how much I dislike them too
icon10.gif
well their jobs anyway.

Ahhh, you've learned one of life's most important lessons. Having a lawyer in the family is priceless and heck, if they like you, they might actuallly waive the consultation fee
wink.gif

May 13, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 23
you probably already know this, but keep detailed records of everything that goes on that costs you money. You need that information later if you need to sue the repair shop. Keep EVERYTHING, simple logistical things, stresses, etc. You might have to compile a case, and the more information the better.

Oh yeah, most importantly, remember it's not as big of a deal as it seems: life will go on even in the worst case scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back