You guys know, I don't!
Dec 9, 2001 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wagnerian

New Head-Fier
Let me have it. I rescently purchased the Sony M600's and I don't like 'em. I listen primarily to classical music; lots of big orchestral pieces with huge/ extreme dynamic range. I really do prefer to hear ALL of those dynamics. So the M600's are going back and I want something else. I think I have narrowed it down to three choices: 1) Senn. HD 495, 2) Sony V6/7506, 3) Etymotic ER6. I am not currently using a headphone amp. though I feel that I probably will in the not too distant future. So I now leave it to you all; convince me which of these warrant my strongest concideration.

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 7
I would say either the HD495 or the ER6 -- it depends on whether you want or need isolation. If you need to block off noises (for instance, you travel a lot or you have noisy roommates or you're in similar circumstances), then get the ER6. Otherwise, the HD495 is less than half the price and is likely excellent for large-scale orchestral. I haven't heard one myself, but it does have a good reputation, and its older brothers (the HD580 and HD600) are very good at orchestral dynamics.

Dec 9, 2001 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd say go for the HD580 as they are so cheap now. Some guys are selling them for around $120 here. And you can add an amp later to improve the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 7
The HD495s only really need an amp with low powered portables. I use them with classical music when I am doing homework and I think it sounds really good. Unfortunately I don't really have anything for a decent comparison. Since they are so cheap right now, I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Dec 10, 2001 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 7
It's done, I manages to find a deal on the HD 495's that was too good to pass up. I also found a pair of HD 580's for next to nothing.

What have I done??? Now I'm addicted!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back