You Can't Beat a Melos
Apr 5, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
For those of you who don't know, lextek has THE Melos - the original, Max-beating from the Dallas head-fi meet of years ago, originally owned by the Flumpus, then by me. Of all the SHA-1s out there, it's the best.

What's so special about it vs. the other SHA-1s?

Apr 6, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 26
I was visiting my buddies at Decibel Audio today and they had a super nice SHA-Gold for sale.Jeremy is about to put it out on ebay later today but if any of you guys are interested he says he would most happy to entertain offers and end the auction early.I have heard a few Melos and like them a lot.

Apr 6, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343

It's the pixie dust.

Apr 6, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I was visiting my buddies at Decibel Audio today and they had a super nice SHA-Gold for sale.Jeremy is about to put it out on ebay later today but if any of you guys are interested he says he would most happy to entertain offers and end the auction early.I have heard a few Melos and like them a lot.

Maybe some one could make an offer before the auction?

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343

It's the one that started all the hype.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #21 of 26
I'll take the EMP over the Melos, thank you. I'd choose the Melos if I wanted a slightly thinner and more Hi-Fi sound, but I think that is what most people want anyway.

In favor of the Melos, its easier to refine the sound because the tubes are not as affective of its overall sound signature. The EMP will require some work, and more importantly, some $$ for tubes.

Apr 6, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #22 of 26
I still haven't heard the EMP with the HDs or anything for that case. Someday maybe. I guess I'll settle for the Melos upstairs and the RKV downstairs.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I still haven't heard the EMP with the HDs or anything for that case. Someday maybe. I guess I'll settle for the Melos upstairs and the RKV downstairs.
cool.gif

Oh, you have an RKV (green with envy). Yesss my preciousss, I will have one sooner or later...

Apr 7, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 26
Why do everyone claim the that tubes don't change much to the Melos.
I still remember the day I got my Amperex PQ white label, burnt them for a few hours and then put my HD580 on my ears. I almost fell from my chair. Thr bass, the attack, the detail, evrything sounded 10 times better then any other tubes I had.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 26
I agree. Get the right tubes for the Melos and it makes an astounding difference. Just pick the right tubes -- the current-production JJ/Tesla tubes I bought to get a taste of tube-rolling were really a big let-down, sounding worse than the old Sovteks I had in there before. I wouldn't recommend getting them to anyone unless the old tubes are dead.

On the other hand, the Amperex USA Jan7308 orange label gold pins I have in there now are really something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back