You BETTER apologize, Robbie Williams!
Mar 28, 2005 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Mar 28, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Best UK song in the last 25 years went to Robbie Williams "Angels"? JHC that's got to have been rigged, if that crap was voted the best song to come from the UK in the past quarter of a century then, I agree Jahn, the voters must have been on some weird drug or just plain tone deaf..... or both. Brit Awards these days are full of ready made "boy bands" and PAP singers so I suppose Robbie Williams is considered a legend amongst the rest of the drivel the UK music industry punts out... sad times, very sad times indeed. The sooner the industry gets back to its roots and stops manufacturing these pathetic, talentless wimps en masse the better.. they should be searching the clubs for exciting electric bands with a kick ass rebelious attitude (like they used to) instead of all this "fame acadamy" bollocks where they turn a spotty little oik into a "star" overnight..... I won't say any more as this subject really makes me very angry.

Mike.

EDIT: What really angers me (even more than the music industry punting this crap out) are the people who buy this rubbish..... I REALLY feel for them being force fed all this TURD and it angers me that they are stupid enough to BUY it..... I've thought long and hard about this and have questioned myself "Maybe I'm just not with it anymore?" I reached the conclusion, I am Very much "with it" and the pork who listen to all this garbage are very much "without it" what a shame... an entire generation being force fed a diet of boy bands singing covers of classic songs.. paying £3 a hit for mobile phone "ring tones"....... what a sad state of affairs
mad.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Nice of Robbie to do that. Very cool. Yes, come on, "Love will keep us together". THAT'S a classic!

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 10
heh... pretty big of Robbie to do that. but c'mon... Robbie Williams over JOY DIVISION!? What? ask any self-respecting music fan which song is more important in the bigger scope of things, "Angels" or "Love Will Tear Us Apart," and i would guarantee the latter. i have to say "Angels" is one of his better songs though... quite anthemic.

on that note... for some strange reason (or coinsidence) i've been listening to Robbie's "Angels" a few times today BEFORE reading this post. now that's scary!
eek.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
heh... pretty big of Robbie to do that. but c'mon... Robbie Williams over JOY DIVISION!? What? ask any self-respecting music fan which song is more important in the bigger scope of things, "Angels" or "Love Will Tear Us Apart," and i would guarantee the latter. i have to say "Angels" is one of his better songs though... quite anthemic.

on that note... for some strange reason (or coinsidence) i've been listening to Robbie's "Angels" a few times today BEFORE reading this post. now that's scary!
eek.gif

*takes the hash pipe away from...bong. hmm, that didn't come out sounding right...*

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
*takes the hash pipe away from...bong. hmm, that didn't come out sounding right...*

LOL! heh... momentary lapse of reason, you might say...
wink.gif

but really... i wouldn't put "Angels" in the same league as something like "Love Will Tear Us Apart," and while definitely NOT deserving the BRIT award for the best song in the last quarter of a century, it's really not a bad song... i'm no Robbie Williams fan, but i wouldn't hesitate to put "Angels" as a great anthemic song alongside stuff like "Turn," "Live Forever," "Yellow," or "Everybody's Changing."

the other Robbie Williams song i like is "No Regrets." good song, complete with distinctive background vocals from no other than Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant.

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
What was the criteria for this award? I can list quite a few acts that should have smoked Angels.

It looked like the Brit Awards folks left it to the radio listeners to vote for the nominated songs, and the winner. See the full list below:

Brits 25 Best Song Award: Robbie Williams - Angels

Also nominated: Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights, Queen - We Are the Champions, Will Young - Leave Right Now. (Voted for by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It looked like the Brit Awards folks left it to the radio listeners to vote for the nominated songs, and the winner. See the full list below:

Brits 25 Best Song Award: Robbie Williams - Angels

Also nominated: Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights, Queen - We Are the Champions, Will Young - Leave Right Now. (Voted for by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

I must be out of touch. I only know two of those songs, Love will Tear us Apart and We are the Champions. Man, I have no clue who Will Young is. I guess it is time to "demo" them.

Also, do Joy Division fans really think that is the best of their songs? I personally like 24 hours, Shadowplay, and a bunch of others more than that one.

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer
Also, do Joy Division fans really think that is the best of their songs? I personally like 24 hours, Shadowplay, and a bunch of others more than that one.

no... Love Will Tear Us Apart is definitely their most accessible, and is usually the first Joy Division song to be heard by a novice. that and being their only hit single (#13 on the UK charts), it's their most memorable... also the fact that it reaches to a much wider audience than any of their other songs.

as for my top five fave Joy Division songs: Day of the Lords, Heart and Soul, New Dawn Fades, She's Lost Control (12" version), and The Sound of Music (Peel Sessions version).
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back