Yikes! Added a audio switch to my setup...my highs are gone!
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xpander

Head-Fier
Bit of a newbie question for you guys here:

So I added one of these passive audio switches to my setup so I can avoid constant cable switching.

TCC TC-716 Details and Hookup

The setup path is as follows, using a pair of Audio Technica A900 and Senn HD595 as output.

Computer->amp->switch->headphones

I've found that the rather crisp and clear highs of both cans have disappeared! I have to now crank the sound up It sounds as if there's a veil thrown over it. Also, on top of that, the bass sounds a lot boomier, which isn't really something that I'm looking for.

Though the cables that I'm using aren't of the highest quality, I've routed the setup from the amps straight through some of the cheap interconnects that I haveand those aren't the problem. So is there any way to compensate for the presence of a passive device so that I don't lose any sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bit of a newbie question for you guys here:

So I added one of these passive audio switches to my setup so I can avoid constant cable switching.

TCC TC-716 Details and Hookup

I have the same switch box. I have not had the same trouble with mine, perhaps yours is faulty. It is bidirectional so you have to make sure you only have two buttons depressed at any time.

Quote:

The setup path is as follows, using a pair of Audio Technica A900 and Senn HD595 as output.

Computer->amp->switch->headphones

Are you sure you dont mean Computer->Switch->Amp->headphones ?

You are taking the headphones out of the one of the rear mini jacks ?

These are line level inputs/outputs !

Quote:

I've found that the rather crisp and clear highs of both cans have disappeared! I have to now crank the sound up It sounds as if there's a veil thrown over it. Also, on top of that, the bass sounds a lot boomier, which isn't really something that I'm looking for.

Though the cables that I'm using aren't of the highest quality, I've routed the setup from the amps straight through some of the cheap interconnects that I haveand those aren't the problem. So is there any way to compensate for the presence of a passive device so that I don't lose any sound quality?

A decent switch box will really have no effect at all, there will be as much signal loss from the extra 3' of interconnect added into the chain and that will be negligible.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same switch box. I have not had the same trouble with mine, perhaps yours is faulty. It is bidirectional so you have to make sure you only have two buttons depressed at any time.

Are you sure you dont mean Computer->Switch->Amp->headphones ?

You are taking the headphones out of the one of the rear mini jacks ?

These are line level inputs/outputs !

A decent switch box will really have no effect at all, there will be as much signal loss from the extra 3' of interconnect added into the chain and that will be negligible.

Yeah I was trying to get away with using my headphones right out of the switch. It was worth a try.

I'm going to try to grab a headphone amp that have multiple outputs such as the Headroom desktop and the Prosonus Central Station. It looks like my only option at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back