Yet another wacky tweak
Sep 2, 2001 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
Don't know if anybody's seen this one yet, but here's another tweak w/ jude's name written all over it...
biggrin.gif

Tweak link

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Don't know if anybody's seen this one yet, but here's another tweak w/ jude's name written all over it...
biggrin.gif

Tweak link

LOL! No, that one is not one I would likely do.

I have this worry that I would not be able to cut the floppy down perfectly so that it's totally balanced as it rotates at the high speeds CDs can reach. When I was in college, I worked at a commercial HVAC/R contractor (in sales & marketing), and I remember we used to pay this company a lot of money to balance industrial rotating fan assemblies, etc. with lasers and the like.

Besides that, I don't know what I'd want to place something on top of my CD that might get caught in the mechanism.

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 11
I tried this about a month ago and got no improvement using my CT470. To cut the floppy I used a clear CD from a spindle of CD-Rs and placed it over the floppy disc. Then I used an exacto knife to cut it out. Maybe I would notice more improvement if I had some Sorbothane
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2001 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Voyager
Then I used an exacto knife to cut it out.

What not the BUTTER knife??!
tongue.gif

This tweak actually sounds similar in practise to something called the statmat thats on sale in the UK.

Basically its a blank cd with some markings (I am actually a bit hazy about that part!) and you place it on top of the cd in the tray. The idea is that it kills all the static charges on the disc and leaves a nice even layer which is supposed to make the sound "better".............

Sep 2, 2001 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 11
It seems to me that CD player transports are built to "expect" a certain rotational mass (with some variations of course), and that doubling it up probably isn't a good idea. But I'm just guessing here, as I've never taken part in designing a CD transport.

Also, to remove static, I think I'd rather use something like a ZeroStat gun on my CDs than placing something on top of my CD in the platter.

Sep 2, 2001 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Also, to remove static, I think I'd rather use something like a ZeroStat gun on my CDs than placing something on top of my CD in the platter.

In the uk Russ Andrews sells a bottle of Relees which you spray on the surface of the cd(the label side) and also the transport for much the same effect!

Sep 2, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 11
There are many accessory disks for sale that you place on top of
CD while playing, I have tried several and never thought any produced a noticeable improvement.

The disc inside a floppy is remarkably similar to Statmatt sold here for $30, as David said. I noticed no real improvement when I used it though in my home system CDP.

Sep 3, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Davidcotton, don't worry. I never use any sharp objects such as but not limited to, knives, pliars, wire strippers, scissors, razors razors, etc. in the same room as my headphones except where nneeded because I am afraid I will damage the cords of my phones.

Back on topic, it seems to me if an object is placed on a CD it will take longer to get upto the full rotation speed, but once at that speed the CD should play fine, though I could be incorrect.

Sep 3, 2001 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 11
If I understand Jonathan Scull's comments in his review of the 47 Laboratory 4704 PiTracer CD Transport (current issue of Stereophile) correctly [and that is a big if
smily_headphones1.gif
], most CDs are so off-center that having to correct for a bit of extra weight may not make that much of a difference since CD players are always correcting like mad for the off-centeredness anyway.

Legoman

Sep 27, 2001 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Can't remember the name of it but sombody makes a "lathe" device for balancing cd's. It also bevels the outer edge at a 45 deg. angle. Reports are it makes an audible improvement in sound by reducing read errors caused by unbalanced disc's.

Sep 27, 2001 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
Can't remember the name of it but sombody makes a "lathe" device for balancing cd's. It also bevels the outer edge at a 45 deg. angle. Reports are it makes an audible improvement in sound by reducing read errors caused by unbalanced disc's.

Truth be told, I like the concept behind this one. It's called the Audio Desk Systeme, and goes for about $550. My portable CD player is a Radio Shack CD-3904, which has a clear top, and many CD's really put the laser tracking mechanism to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back