Yet another thread about what to buy
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cky

New Head-Fier
I've come here to combine your collective knowledge to into a force that will allow me to pummel my ears into sonic submission...or something like that.

So I need some new headphones. A little usage history first. I started on HD280s which I've had now for more than 10 years. They're still going strong (only tiny cracks in the headband), but the bass (or lack thereof), has relegated them to TV and Film watching on the computer. My job requires an ungodly amount of air travel, so when I started I went and bought some Bose QC2s (I know Bose doesn't get much love from the audiophiles), and I really did like the bass and the NC while in flight. What I didn't like was their flimsiness and that they broke just a few months out of warranty. Also considering they were $300+ I think Amar Bose deserves a kick in jewels. Just recently while xmas shopping I picked up a pair of AKG 518s. The sound on them is great, nice and bassy, they're super lightweight and relatively compact for travel. What I didn't realize is that after about 45 mins I feel like I'm the guy in the circus that sticks his head in a lions mouth, but it goes horrible wrong. Imagine reliving that experience over and over again, on 14+ hour flights.

What I need: I've got a bigger than average head, big ears that stick out a bit, so they've gotta be circumaural, because I don't think anything else will be comfortable. Closed back is necessary for airplane use. I like thick clear bass, but not to the point of being poor for watching movies while muffling the voice track. They need to be super comfortable, and they have to be usable on an mp3 player/laptop computer without an amp.

What I'd like but isn't required: I prefer single cords instead of the Y cord. Straight cords instead of coiled. Lightweight and compact for travel (don't want to arouse any more attention from the TSA than necessary) and finally durable enough to beat my HD280s for longevity.

I've already been doing research, and I've found Sony has a bunch of stuff that may be good but I can't differentiate between ie. 7506, V6, 7509, V600. I looked at Audio Technica Pro 5MVA, 5MS (is there any difference between those two besides colour?), and M50S.
I also saw the Beyer DT-250.

So taking in my requirements, and my prior experiences as well as the sound I'm looking for, what do you guys and gals think I should go for? I know I won't be able to get full marks on everything I'm looking for, but I can settle for a decent balance. Your comments and suggestions will all be much obliged.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 5
It really is all about trying a few pairs of headphones out. What is your price range BTW?

I have a pair of 7506's and I would recommend them for the use you are describing. I got my pair already worn in and the bass is very good (while being fairly neutral possible leaning towards a warm sound), but I have heard that they need a little work in to get the best bass. The only thing that would worry me is the comfort aspect. I think they are wonderfully comfortable, but have heard some people who disagree. So again, it really is about trying a few pairs on to see what fits you best.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Ultrasone HFI-580

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by wierddemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is all about trying a few pairs of headphones out. What is your price range BTW?

I have a pair of 7506's and I would recommend them for the use you are describing. I got my pair already worn in and the bass is very good (while being fairly neutral possible leaning towards a warm sound), but I have heard that they need a little work in to get the best bass. The only thing that would worry me is the comfort aspect. I think they are wonderfully comfortable, but have heard some people who disagree. So again, it really is about trying a few pairs on to see what fits you best.

My price range is relative only to my requirements being met. So I have no problem paying if I can get everything I want, but it will be hard to justify spending lots if I'm missing out on a few of the things I'm looking for.

Also, I should mention that I'm willing to mod whatever phones I get with more comfortable earpads, if they're available.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone HFI-580

Do you have a pair of those cans? How are they in the comfort department? I see they weigh about 10oz, about the same as the HD280s. Clamping feeling?

I'd love to go out and try things, but the fact is, up here there just isn't that many places that offer a good selection of headphones. And even fewer places that have demos available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back