Yet another "Receiver vs. headphone amp" question...
Jun 4, 2005 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
Setting up a system for my office. HD590s in use. Was considering a headphone amp, but figured that before I dump a bunch of bux, I should see if equipment I have lying around will suffice.

I left my 590s at the office, so for the purposes of comparing 2 receivers, I used a set of Grado SR225s (my backup pair now... uncomfortable as hell, plus the 590s sound better IMO).

The two not-so-vintage receivers I have available are:

1. Sony STR-GX909ES (ca. 1995). Fairly detailed, a bit bright. Sound seems "sterile". Playing no source, with volume at max there is a bit of audible hiss.

2. Denon AVR-3200 (ca. 1996). Warmer and more lush than the Sony ES, but not as detailed. No hiss at all, regardless of volume.

Both units were >$1000 receivers back in their day, both heavy and solidly built. I'm leaning towards trying the Denon for a while.

Anyone else use either of these units for headphone listening?

Anything I should be aware of or lookout for?

Thanks...

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Can't speak specifically to your Denon model, however I have a Denon DCD 920 CD player with headphone jack...worked well while on a budget, but doesn't even come close to a dedicated ($400) amp. This same result holds true with my older Audiolab 8000a integrated amp that was hailed in it's time for being a good headphone amp. So, I don't know if it is the fact that the other units are out dated or if my particular units have inferior circutry, but they did make good sources until I spent the bucks.

Happy listening.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 3
It varies too much to be able to categorize it based on the manufacturer but I've heard more good things about Denon headphone jacks. I would caution you though since the Senns will probably be harder to drive than the Grados, the results you get with the Grados might or might not apply to the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back