Yet another PPA offset question...
Nov 30, 2006 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mik000000

100+ Head-Fier
I have my steps/PPA v2 running now finally. I am listening to it as i type and it sounds great. I have not yet put in the bias transisters or the bass boost and yes, I have c6g installed.
I measure the output offset and get
OL-OG .3mv
OR-OR 1.8mv
both of which look good
to check the opamp offests i am measuring from pin 6 on the opamps to IG and get:
L- -12mv
G- -8.5mv
R- -12.9mv
the offset values look ok, but i don't understand why i am getting negative voltage on the offset.
any ideas? or is this normal?

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 9
am looking for some help here... It boils down to 2 questions.

1) Is the 12mv at the opamp normal, or within noermal parameters?
2) Is the fact that the offset is a negative voltage normal?

need some input people!!!

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 9
12mV seems fine. What opamps are you using?

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 9
I am using opa627's on all 3 channels. Any opinion on the fact it is a negative voltage? or is this normal?

I want to be sure all is ok before adding the bias transistors and the bass boost parts

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 9
The numbers you are reporting are so small that you could be measuring the opposite ends of a short piece of wire next to a video monitor.

No one is responding because your post is confusing. I think I see two typos in the descriptions but I'm not sure.

Basically if you see less than 10mv across the headphones then it's OK.

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 9
There's nothing wrong with a negative offset. You basically have a 50/50 chance with any chip that its offset will be negative or positive. It's random.

EDIT: Thinking more about it, there is a bias towards one direction or the other. But the main point is, it doesn't matter which direction it goes. It just needs to be reasonably close to 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back