Yet another newbie CMOY thread (nakid pics)
Jun 10, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 26
Well, here she is, your bog standard CMOY.
tongue.gif

cmoy5.jpg

inside:
cmoy6.jpg

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
First, did you build it according to standard specs for gain and cap values? Do you hear anything at all from the PDA, noise or dead silence? What headphones? The standard CMOY seems to match well for portables, I'd start off looking for other problems, such as intermittent connections, before trying to tweak the amp.

I used all of the parts specified on the Tangentsoft page. Well except I did add two 1000uf caps power supply in parallel with the 220ufs.

There is no unwanted noise or dead silence then the volume control is turned up. The amp sounds sweet from silence to eye bleeding volumes on my Sennheisser PX-100 portable headphones.

Actually the amp performs flawlessly when a PC or portable Walkman tape player is used as the source. I believe that the PDA output is the culprit.

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 26
I made two changes which have really improved this amp.

First, I put in a OPA2227PA, I love it! Bassheads probably won't like it as much as the standard OPA2132, but the midrange and treble clarity is really improved.

Second, I changed the gain from 5.5 to 4, this is a better value for the 28 to 64 ohm headphones I'm using with this amp, giving more precise volume control.

This little baby is sounding really sweet right now!

One more note: with the OPA2227 I was able to run the battery down to just about 4 volts before getting noticable distortion.
cool.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 26
Nice work. How does it sound with the R50?
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Mounting in the tin is harder than I thought it would be. How do some of you ever get 2 x 9v into a mint tin?

my CMOY is ugly, but it works and 2 batteries fit really well.
FSLO-1069131215-79489.jpg

my mint is much prettier
wink.gif

FSLO-1069130874-769837.jpg

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 26
Here's mine - I guess it's a cross between a Cmoy and a MINT. The outputs are buffered and I threw in a buffer after the TLE. I like the battery name, too...AGRESSOR. What were they thinking?

IMG_0226_2.JPG

IMG_0227_2.JPG

cmoy_2.jpg

-Drew

Jun 21, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Drewd, you etched the PCB yourself? That is very cool.

I'm not quite that good! I had ExpressPCB make the board, then cut it out on a bandsaw.

-Drew

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #25 of 26
What does buffering the outputs actually achieve, and how is it done? I've only seen buffered power supplies on these amps before... and i'm not even sure what that does :p

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
What does buffering the outputs actually achieve, and how is it done? I've only seen buffered power supplies on these amps before... and i'm not even sure what that does :p

Buffering the outputs provides the same benefit that buffering the power supply gives - more available current. For the outputs, the specific benefit is that the buffers can provide more dynamic current than the opamp itself can provide, especially if the headphone impedance is a little low.

There's a drawback though - decreased battery life. The current has to come from somewhere...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The amount of current draw is adjustable to a degree by varying the bandwidth control resistor (I'm referring to the Burr Brown BUF-634 here). The buffers have a somewhat high quiescent current draw so the battery doesn't last as long as with just a vanilla CMoy with a single opamp and resistor divider. But I feel that the buffers improve the sound, especially on dynamic events and the decrease in battery life isn't a huge amount - maybe 10% on one of my CMoys with a total of three buffers, so to me it's worth it.

Poke around Tangent's web site (http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio) and you'll find some nice tidbits about buffers, especially in his notes on the PPA and Pimeta projects.

-Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back