Yet another "My First Amp" (pics)
Apr 18, 2004 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shiggins

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for the last few months and this is my first post.

Though I'd show you all my first bit of DIY. I decided to make a pretty much standard Pimeta & STEPS.

From the outside:
Stacked1.jpg

The insides:
Insides1.jpg

Erm ... ignore the dangly phono wire hanging out the back. I'm waiting on the jack to be delivered...

Feel free to ignore this thread - There's nothing new here, it's just me being a happy-chappy and wanting to tell someone!

Expensive, addictive hobby this, isn't it?

s/

Apr 18, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 13
very very nice... DIY is like drugs, once your in theres no going back
biggrin.gif

did you bent the power caps becasue 1000ufs were too big or because the jack's in the way?

keep it up

Apr 18, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 13
Cheers guys! You wouldn't be saying it's too good if you saw the soldering close-up. I haven't soldered since school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
did you bent the power caps becasue 1000ufs were too big or because the jack's in the way?

Both - I couldn't put them straight in because the ground channel DIP sockets were in the way and I couldn't use the front C2 position because of that great big ruddy headphone socket. As I'd bought four caps I decided to use all four, so "stacked" 'em.

Now, what to make next....

s/

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 13
That's an absolutely superb job you've made of that..... very tidy and nicely dressed wires, I trust it sounds good too!

By the way, welcome to Head-Fi and what a good way to introduce yourself with that lovely amp.

All the best.

Pinkie.

Apr 19, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 13
Sweet job man!
biggrin.gif

What cans are you using with it?

Also, where can i get the awesome knobs you're using?

NICE WORK keep it up!

Best Regards,
Dan

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Very nice. How difficult was the STEPS? I trying to decide whether or not I should include it in my long-term PPA plans.

Apr 19, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
Also, where can i get the awesome knobs you're using?

The knobs are from RS Components. Part number 498-895.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h3ng
how long did it take? thinking about making one myself.

Took me about three full days over the Easter holiday, plus a couple of evenings since to case it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
How difficult was the STEPS?

As the name suggests (Tangents Easy Power Supply), it was damn easy.

The only problems I had were that the C4 positions are not marked on the pcb, so I used the four unmarked places (checked the schematic first, of course). I couldn't find the same heatsink so getting the components in front of the regulator to fit was a bit of a tight squeeze with the heatsink I used. The 25VA transformer was also a tight fit in the Hammond case. I had to file the top outside edge a bit. Unless you need the extra current, I recommend using the lower-profile 15VA transformer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Looks like the HD650s to me... correct me if I'm wrong
600smile.gif

You're not wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

s/

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The 25VA transformer was also a tight fit in the Hammond case. I had to file the top outside edge a bit. Unless you need the extra current, I recommend using the lower-profile 15VA transformer.

Slide the PCB into the Hammond with the removable cover on the bottom and it goes in clean without a bump using the 25VA transformer. Same thing with the specified heatsink. Otherwise, there are clearance problems as you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back