yet another "Headphones buzzing while GPU is on load" thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kel_Sceptic

New Head-Fier
Hello ppl,

I had this problem for a long time but used all kinds of tricks to diminish the high pitch noise that comes out of my headphones when I'm in a game.
To start, my configuration is:

PSU: Seasonic X-Series: X-850
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev.2
Videocard: Asus GTX760-DirectCU II (also had a GTX 640 before and it had the same problem)
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
PC Case: Thermaltake Shark

So, while using the on-board Realtek audio card I don't have any issues.
While using the on-board Intel HD3000 video card with the Auzentech soundcard (and the dedicated videocard removed from the case (haven't tried with it plugged)), I have no issues.
But when I'm using the dedicated videocard GTX760 and the Auzentech soundcard, I am having EMI buzzing sounds while the GPU is under load. I am setting the volume to 0, and I am hearing the buzzing. While using the dedicated amped Headphone output from the soundcard, the buzzing is very high, while using the soundcard green output front-right I am hearing the buzzing but its much bearable.

I only got 1 PCI Express X16 slot so I can't move the video card.
I only got 1 PCI Express X8/X1 slot so I can't move the soundcard.

I have disabled all auxiliary lines (line-in/out, mic, etc), onboard video and soundcard, without succes.

What can I do to make the buzzing stop and the Auzentech soundcard to work in peace and harmony with the dedicated GTX760 video card ? :)

Thank you in advance.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Ok, so I've done some more tests:

1. using the onboard video while the dedicated GPU was plugged produced the high pitch noise/buzzing in game. But disabling the dedicated GPU from Device Manager made the buzzing dissapear.
2. the GPU and the soundcard are running on the same IRQ, I've changed the IRQ but with no success, the high pitch noise/buzzing was still there.
3. I've realized that even in BIOS (UEFI) if I keep pressed the key Up or Down to make the menu selection run continually the buzzing is slowly noticeable.
4. activating Adaptive V-Sync in nvidia control panel for global 3d settings made the buzzing dissapear only when my system is able to sustain 120FPS, since I got a BenQ 144Hz monitor. Good luck achieving that fps in World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor :). Anyways that is a ... cheap trick but it doesn't solve the problem.

It drives me crazy having to deal with this. I can't game knowing that this is happening. :frowning2:

Any ideeas ?

Thank you.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok, it's def coil whine buzzing from the GTX 760. Gonna get an external Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard. I choose that because of the EAX 5 support.
If anyone has other suggestions, I am listening.

Thank you.

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Ok, it's def coil whine buzzing from the GTX 760. Gonna get an external Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard. I choose that because of the EAX 5 support.
If anyone has other suggestions, I am listening.

Thank you.

Does the Auzen have a TOSlink output? You may try sending that out into another device before going with the USB adapter.

Also, are you hooking up thru front-panel connectors (I know you mentioned plugging straight into the card, but do you have front-panel wiring hooked up)? Have you tried removing those? In the past I've known those connectors and their wiring to be AWESOME antennas, and largely don't bother with hooking them up these days because of it. Use the rear, on-card connectors.

According to pictures I found of your motherboard, it has 2 x16 slots and 3 x1 slots. You may not be able to move the videocard (I've used some motherboards that don't like booting with a graphics card in the secondary x16 slot only), but you should be able to move the soundcard to one of those other positions - I'd try the secondary x16 slot as its furthest away.

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Actually i'm using the toslink but while listening to medium-high volume while exercising I've never realised if it has the problem or not.

About the frontpanel, I've tested with it unplugged (audio + the USB part).

Today I've made some more tests, I've moved the grafic card on the PCIe x4 slot (with a ~20% loss in performance, but just to see if it works) and I've moved the soundcard on 2 of the PCIe x1 slots without any success. The noise is still there.

Seems the only solution would be the USB soundcard :/ It is really disappointing to waiste money on the internal Auzentech card, and much more .. since it's a very good card for my needs.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Actually i'm using the toslink but while listening to medium-high volume while exercising I've never realised if it has the problem or not.

About the frontpanel, I've tested with it unplugged (audio + the USB part).

Today I've made some more tests, I've moved the grafic card on the PCIe x4 slot (with a ~20% loss in performance, but just to see if it works) and I've moved the soundcard on 2 of the PCIe x1 slots without any success. The noise is still there.

Seems the only solution would be the USB soundcard :/ It is really disappointing to waiste money on the internal Auzentech card, and much more .. since it's a very good card for my needs.

Sounds like the graphics card should get the blame here though, not the Auzen card. I'd say give the TOSlink a listen, and if its still buggered there, external may be a solution (however if the noise is due to the GeForce card muddying the power, the issue may persist with an external device, especially if it draws power from the system).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back