Yet another grado re-cable
Aug 16, 2005 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

So, I decided to take the plunge and do some upgrades to my SR-125s. I put in stainless steel gratings like the 225s, and put sub-mini jacks in the earpieces so I can swap out cables.

My first cable is an 8-foot starquad cable, and I gotta be honest, I HATE it. Now I am the first agree that Grados have a lot of highs, perhaps to a fault. In my opinion, the starquad cable (or perhaps the new grills?) has completely removed the high frequency energy that I loved for progressive metal. I mean the sound is for the most part there, but that last bit of sparkle in the highs is completely gone! BLECH! Also this may just be my imagination, but I could swear some of the midbass has dropped out aswell.

Any other grado re-cablers care to comment? Teflon insulated silver-copper braided cable to come today or tomorrow
580smile.gif

'soda

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I recabled my portaPro's with 4-way litz braided SCCTI (silver coated copper w/ teflon insulation). The high frequency extension actually improved a little. I believe RnB180 said starquad wire was not the best for headphone wire.

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 4
I made the silver plated copper cable, and so far I am not too impressed. I'm not sure whether the changes I made to the earpieces are responsible for the changes, or if perhaps my hearing really is that bad...
eek.gif

Perhaps with more listening I will be able to discern the difference
rolleyes.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 4
you arent going to hear much difference recabling your grados, for some reason I think the Grados require very little to drive and sound good, the stock cable sounds fine, from my experience other recable jobs with it didnt do much, but I used an sr-80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back