Yet another budget power cable: Eupen
Jan 19, 2006 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy folks. I have been following the various power cord threads with much interest, I'm always on the lookout for bargains. My findings have tended to be similar to markl's findings, at least in my main systems over the years.

I had read about the Eupen brand of cables (pronounced OY-pen) from Europe. Found some here in USA @ $32/ea plus minimal shipping.

These cords are somewhat unique in that they have built in filters, and also ferrite coatings. The cable ends are molded plastic, but are definitely more heavy duty than simple stock cords. www.emceupen.com, one of their US distributors/sellers, has this to say about these filtered power cords:

"Our filtered power cords are an electrical network of passive components providing common mode and differential mode attenuation of conducted and radiated noise. In addition to the built-in filter networks, the cable conductors are also available with a coated RF absorbing ferrite compound (FerroCom) that provides additional attenuation at the high frequencies, something not found in most regular LC filtering devices. This RF absorption on the FerroCom coated cables avoids high frequency resonances as well as the unwanted conducted and radiated noises."

I decided to try them out, and a package of five (minimum order) came today. In my bedroom system, I have a mini-footprint DVD player driving a Lavry DA-10, and Sony CD-3K phones. I plug the DVD player (captive cord) and Lavry into a Bybee Signature Pro conditioner, with some specifically-place ERS pieces on the Bybee's case.

The power cord I was using for the Lavry is an Aural Thrills "Silver Big One," which is a silver on copper cable with ferrite rollers on one end for EMI/RFI. This I got a few years back for perhaps $70, but it has been a favorite of mine for cheap price and good solid performance.

Compared a few songs from Ani Difranco's "Up Up Up Up Up" CD, and the Eupen did better to my ears. Deeper bass, a slightly more open soundstage, and a little more air to the mids on up. Repeated this with Alison Kraus and Union Station live, similar conclusions.

There was a buzz on Audio Asylum that these cables are bought by JPS Labs and just recovered/relabelled as the JPS Digital AC. It IS confirmed that JPS does source some items from Eupen, but I have not found if anyone uncovered the truth about if they are stock, or minor/major modded cords. To say the least, the JPS Digital AC has received some very good reviews, and sells at $350-ish.

I plan to do more listening, and put these in some other areas of my systems (have just placed one on my Aria). But this looks like it is another budget cable that is a great deal.

FYI, I haven't heard the Volex. I have had in the past the Asylum Cord, the Absolute Cord (version 1), and briefly a Quail cord. It's definitely based on memory and with different equipment, so take this with a big grain of salt. But I just don't remember this type of sound and overall improvement with those other budget cords.

More to come.....

Todd - skullguise

PS - specific model # is IMU-14.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 5
A little more listening in, in my bedroom system and main system. Definitely a nice cord! Not just for the money, but overall.

I placed several cords around my main system to try these out there. That system consists of (digital front end listed only):

- Eastsound CD-E5
- Belles 250i integrated
- Eminent Tech LFT-16 speakers
- PS Audio GCHA headphone amp, Sennheiser 650 w/RnB cable
- Oritek X-2 (E5 to integrated) and X-1 (tape out to GCHA)
- Oritek S-1 speaker cables
- All line components plug into a power strip attached to a Foundation Research LC-1
- Amp plugs into a power strip with a Triphaser AC unit
- AC Cords: PS Audio Xtreme Prelude (Belles amp), Eichmann eXpress v1 (CD), and Silver Raincoat (GCHA)

In the end, I tried the Eupen cord on the CD player and headphone amp (I also put it on my phono stage, but didn't do enough serious listening on it). Compared tot he Silver Raincoat (which is well burnt in), it was deeper in bass, more focused in the bass and mids, had a larger soundstage and had a quieter background. Without a doubt better, almost across the board!

Then swapped the Eichmann with the Eupen. Definitely blacker background, but the soundstage size shrunk in a bit. Tonally, fairly similar sound to Eichmann, though the Eichmann MAY have better bass. Nice focus of voice within the soundstage.

So even though the Eichmann is a little noisier than the Eupen, I still prefer the overall "largeness" of sound with it. But the Eupen has beat out another "hi fi" lower price cord in the Silver Raincoat. I had thought the SR was pretty good after it was in the system a while. But it's there no more....

I think the one place the Eupen might have a weakness is in overall speed. I get the sense it loses out to some of my favorite cords from the past, especially the TG Audio SLVR (which is a $500 list cord), and some of the other TG line. I also know that I should replace my PS Audio as well!

But still, I'm impressed at the blackness, imaging & focus, and control of these cables.

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the (literal) heads-up: I am in the market for power cables and Eupen HQ is only 10 mls away from here.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Well "Eupen Kabelwerke" as they are originally called (they are based in a German speaking part of Belgium) didn't want to sell directly, instead referred me to a German distributor (www.schloeder-emc.de). That distributor responded fairly quickly but apparently isn't into selling to private people. I gave them my business address, but I am not sure if I will be able to buy anything from them. I ended up by 2x1 meters of 2.5mm EMC cable off of eBay and some matching Bals and Apsa jacks and connectors, to build two cables myself. The jacks are not Wattgate or Furutech quality but quite decent. I should have it all set up and running in a couple of days, will report my impressions.

BTW: Habe you read the British Hifi-Choice review? Eupen EMC mains cable seems to receive much love everywhere it steps into the ring.

Cheers M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back