yet another audio lossless format, Windows Media Audio Lossless.
Jun 12, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
It's been around for quite a while.

Sounds fine to my ears compared to other lossless codecs.

All lossless formats are exactly that: lossless. They only difference is probably the file size, but they can't vary too much.

Jun 12, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 23
Anyone else a fan of WMP11 here? Despite not having ASIO/KS support, it's still a damn fine audio/media player.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
All lossless formats are exactly that: lossless. They only difference is probably the file size, but they can't vary too much.

Exactly what I said. Lossless means that no quality is lost during the conversion from the original wav. It just means that the file is compressed, and then decompressed during playback. And Eli, as for file size, I think it does matter if you have several thousand songs. A 5-10% difference in compression between formats could be many gigabytes.

Jun 12, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
No it's not. If you don't become an expert you run the risk of the tags going at the start of the files without padding and having to rewrite the whole file when retagging. I have had this problem and have had to waste time waiting for the computer to retag AND studying how to fix the problem. Whereas WMA specifies a good tagging format.

Can you explain what you mean. Why would you have to rewrite the whole file to retag it?

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Can you explain what you mean. Why would you have to rewrite the whole file to retag it?

FLAC puts tags at the start of the file. And it does not specify whether there is padding or not. So if you use the wrong encoder you may get the tags without padding. And then to change the tags the whole file may have to be rewritten. Apparently there is no easy way to add data to the beginning of a file.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 23
wma lossless may be better then flac but wavpack is still king.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

wma lossless may be better then flac but wavpack is still king.

I'll certainly agree with you there
biggrin.gif

I tried WMA lossless and found it to be very comparable to FLAC, but wavpack definitely has a slight advantage over both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back