Yet another active monitor question
Jun 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solrighal

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone. I want to buy a pair of small active monitors for my desktop. They will only be using my M-Audio 2496 souncard as a source and therefore must have RCA phono inputs available. I was initially looking at the Audioengine A2 but while researching those have come across the RKT Rokit RP5's. There's quite a big discrepency in cost right there but small size is more important than cost, up to a point. I could just about afford the Rokits (love that name, lol). I've also read good things said here about a manufacturer called Adam but I think they're a bit pricey and I can't find a UK dealer. There's also M-Audio's own speakers which you'd think might be a good match with my soundcard but they look awful! I know it's sound that really matters but everything else being equal I'd like something that looks good too.
Up 'til now I've been using a Rotel RA-01 amp feeding a large pair of Eltax Liberty floor-standers and whilst the sound is ok I've recently moved house and the room I'm in now is just too small for the Eltax's. Also, the power switch on the Rotel is playing up something terrible and the only way I can get the amp to power up is by thumping it above the power switch! Not good. I'm guessing it's going to pack in completely, probably sooner rather than later.

So has anyone auditioned any of these options together? As I said I initially was going to go for the Audioengine A2's but after some research I have to say the idea of a flatter frequency response as offered by a proper monitor does appeal. I look forward to getting some input from you guys.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 8
RP5 is a great product for its price. Very accurate and detailed set but they need a sub. Without it there's almost no bass and deeper frequencies. So Either Rp5 +sub or Rp8.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 8
yes, if size and looks is an issue, i can only think of two recommendations:
adam A5's, or Quad 11L's.  however, both of these are well out of you price range.  hmmmm...

it might be worth it to look into some swan speakers (other than the m200's, as those are rather large)?

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input so far guys. I take the point about there being relatively little bass with such small speakers but I do value neutrality so I could maybe go for a pair of monitors right now and look to add a sub at a later date. One thing I hadn't thought of - I'll need to be able to connect my headphones to these and as far as I can see only M-Audio make monitors with a front panel headphone out. Are there any others? I'd also prefer to have a volume control on the front too but that's not too common either.

Am I correct in thinking that if the speakers are close to a rear wall - as they will be in this room - then I'm really looking for a front ported design?

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Front ported design is much, much better. recommended. I use TC Pilot for controling volume. And regarding the headout on the monitors isn't really ideal. You're much better off with a dedicated amp.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 8
I take your point about the headphone out on a pair of monitors being inadequate. Given that, what's the ideal way for me to set things up?

Should I buy a seperate headphone amp and use it for headphones?

If so, will I still be able to pass-through the signal to a pair of active desktop speakers?

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 8
I would'nt get monitors with a heaphone out, instead get a soundcard or an external firewire or USB async dac that has a headphone and rca or balanced outputs...  another option  if you want to continue using your soundcard is to buy rca splitter so you get four outputs out of the two you have, this way you can connect one set to your monitors and one set to a headphone amp, doing this wont degrade your rca signal because its a high current signal.

The only downside of active monitors is their usual low bass, look for ones with an open front or back bass ports this increases the bass output by letting more air out which enhances the bass response

btw Great Avatar "Trailer Park Boys" is one of my favorite shows

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I take your point about the headphone out on a pair of monitors being inadequate. Given that, what's the ideal way for me to set things up?

Should I buy a seperate headphone amp and use it for headphones?

If so, will I still be able to pass-through the signal to a pair of active desktop speakers?

The headamp would have to have a loop out or passive passthrough like the Gilmore lite and the like. So the signal goes from your dac to the head amp and then from there to your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back