Yes, another "What should I get" thread
Oct 31, 2005 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mehtheinfernal

Head-Fier
Hello, I'm still rather new so I'm sorry if this has been asked 100000 times already.

I currently have a SB Live value a friend gave me 5+ yrs ago (can't beat free). I'm planning to get some Sony xd400's {merry christmas to me} and was wondering what a good budget (<$100 off ebay/wherever) soundcard solution would be? Yes, I play BF2 but to be honest...positioning and old EAX has been doing me fine. Music is more of a priority for me since I listen to mp3s much more than I do play BF2. Also, I listen through headphones all the time so 5.1, etc. means nothing to me. Most people seem to say xd400+xfi, was just curious if there was something better/cheaper for my needs? And yeah...I know nothing of DAC's, pre-amps, etc. Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance!
eek.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 4
If the SB live! value had been good enough for you in games, keep it, and pick up an emu 0404 for music, or, if you dislike dealing with (possible) driver issues, go for an M-audio Audiophile 192 instead of an EMU (the AP192 isn't necessarily inferior to the emu offerings) =P As for headphones... there was a thread about gaming headphones in the headphones forum, and it was a pretty long thread.

The x-fi (basic) is supposed to be pretty decent for music, so the xd400 + x-fi doesn't sound like that bad an idea.

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions. =)
I never really thought of having two sound cards before, might try that.

Also will keep an eye out for reviews of this for in the future. Where could I find the Prodigy cards for sale online? Thanks again.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back